Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Identification
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-27-2010, 10:03 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

This stuff will make you want to pull your hair out ..
It will cause you to cuss it out ... I had almost trashed the tank because of this stuff, I changed out LR I did every thing and this stuff was satanic !!
I just could not get it to go , I clean the tank with in 12 hours this brown snot covered every thing and I mean every thing ....corals , power heads , sand , LR , even my mag cleaners given the chance it would have grown on the fish , it even grew on a couple of the snails ! I was even reduced to tearing the tank apart and scrubbing the LR , when I did that they disappeared for about a day and bam covered in the brown snot again .....I eventually bought new LR and changed it out with in 3 days again it was covered in this brown snot !! I found a couple articles on how to get rid of it and tried the ideas and they worked for me .....
IDing this stuff is half the battle ... I tried every thing from chemicals to diffrent methods of filtration .... nothing
I cut lighting and slowly brought it back ..up to 8 hours a day
I then started doing every day 50% H20 changes , I would scrub and use a tooth brush to get just about every where that I could ( I would have ripped the new rock out if I had to but did not WHEW!!! ) after doing the H20 changes I would spray all my cleaning instruments in vinegar and rinse in HOT water of 130* just our tap did fine ... I switched salts from IO to RC and RO/DI water from distilled . I did the 50% for nearly 6 months then backed them down to every other days to 50% , then gradually to weekly , eventually it killed it off I have not had an out break since ...
It took me nearly a year to get rid of this stuff it was sooo bad ....
All my tests were in check as this stuff ate it as fast as it was produced ...starting the tank over was a small option however the issue is that with dinos when you have 1 little spore it is enough to get it started ... so with that it was on corals etc ... those would have had to be saved ....yet to save those ment killing that stuff off but if you cant kill it in the tank how in the heck are you gonna kill it on corals ?
So we just did it as a package .... and won the battle ... do NOT Let this stuff get out of hand or you will see that it takes forever to get rid of this crap .... hit it early and get rid of it ...If you are unsure treat for dinos while waitng on a positive ID , if you are not sure what it is dinos are stringy , snoty looking algea , that can and does have bubbles in it , tho not all of it does .... This stuff will reappear in hours blacking out the tank in my experienced did NOT help alot ... Tho this will not hurt to do for up to 3 days but you will likely see it reappear when lights come on with in hours ... if you have this stuff good luck it sucks !!

10 gallon ~6.5 gallon custom
Sadielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:46 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ugggg...All that work sounds just as bad as simply living with the stuff. I must have something else, as its not as bad as you describe. It forms film that gets thicker and then develops short filaments. Instead of growing longer, the stuff just thickens. Looks like the snails dont like it as they only snack on it here and there.

Matt

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com