Do I have a black spotted grouper?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MommaWeb

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So we went to Petco about 4 months go and put this little 2 inch "black spotted grouper" in our tank. He lives happily with Snowball the snowflake eel and is frenemis with Pablo the Picasso trigger. Gulp (I have kids who name stuff!), seems to be turning colors with his mood. He goes from jet black with white spots to like beige or with patches of beige. He also looks like he has spines along his back. He is friendly and likes Snowball, Pablo has turned into the tank jerk. He is about 4 inches now. I'm really not sure if he is black spooted grouper. Any thoughts?

Fish pale when they are sick or stressed. I would expect this to be in the line of possibilities here. I'd check your parameters to ensure that isn't an issue, but it could simply be from aggression.

I've tried to get a picture. He likes to hide in the shipwreck feature. We really only see him at dinner. He used to be "friends" with a niger and blue jaw trigger (they were best buddies, we have odd fish) before they died. The three of them used to sleep together and never fought. I have checked the parameters and everything is seems to be fine. Today I saw Gulp, mouth wide and almost white, push Pablo-who incidentally, likes to steal food. Gulp has no issues with the eel, but seems to hate this new trigger. The trigger is about 2 1/2 inches and the eel is about 8 inches. Gulp looks like a hefty barrel and is about 4 inches. They are the only 3 fish in a 75 gallon tank.

I will have my husband check the parameters and check back. I can't seem to find any pictures, except for what is online of big ocean reef fish.

Pictures of theTank Gang

Here are some pictures I took. A got a couple good ones of Gulp looking all dark and sweet.

Attachments

• 20180425_103537.jpg
    20180425_103537.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 120
  • 20180425_103707.jpg
    20180425_103707.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 119
  • 20180425_103551.jpg
    20180425_103551.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
A Couple More

Here are a couple more.

Attachments

• 20180425_103508.jpg
    20180425_103508.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 119
  • 20180425_103522.jpg
    20180425_103522.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 118
There is most likely parameter issues. There isn’t enough porous rock in the system to be processing the ammonia and nitrite that is being produced in the system by eating and pooping of a normal fish, let alone these large messy eaters. You’ll need to get 1 lbs per gallon of rock, be it live, base, or macro.

THank you! I wanted to get more live rock anyway, because I THink it looks nice, too. My husband checked the parameters last night and everything was spot on. We were planning to do a water change on Saturday.

Almost looks like a really upset miniatus grouper but it’s hard to I’d.

Hi everyone.
We ended up getting some more live rock. The parameters are perfect. Gulp still hates the Pablo. We are thinking of trading Pablo into a local independently owned aquarium store. He is starting to attack Gulp. He is even annoying the eel. With the rock came an itsy bisty Emerald crab, who blends right in with the ship feature. No one seems to have noticed him. We also put 3 turbo snails in and Pablo promptly killed one. Thank you for all if your advice and help!

He is definitely not a minniatus. My husband wanted one, but we couldn't get one small enough or without it breaking the bank.

Father's Day is coming. I am planning on getting him a bigger tank. Gulp seems to have calmed down and has started to eat again. My husband and I planning on taking Pablo for "a ride." He's just mean. I know they all have different personalities, but Pablo is the new comer. It's not fair to the others. I would rather have Pablo go to a home where he is a better fit, than have Gulp and Snowball tortured.

A Picasso trigger will need a tank in the 150 range to be able to thrive.
With all of this said, a system will need to be in the 1 lbs per gallon range to help establish territories and have places to hide as well as being able to be the main source of filtration in saltwater systems.

you dont go to petco for fish you need a larger and more high end sytem not a tank that was ment for freshwater. do you even have a sump?

Back
Top Bottom