Do I have a bristle worm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rscomia

Aquarium Advice Addict
I noticed this guy (right in front of the rock next to the glass) last night in my sump is it a bristle worm and do I need to get rid of it

Attachments

• 2011-07-12 21.03.23.jpg
    2011-07-12 21.03.23.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 236
Yes it is a bristle and they are harmless. They will actually help you clean your tank as they are scavengers :)

How big do they get ? Also I have some critters in there that look like a shrimp about a quarter inch long I've never add anything like that is it possible that they are shrimp

It will probably get to 4" or so, a good cleaner. There may be mysis shrimp, probably came on rock, or big pods? I have mysis shrimp swimming around and I have no idea where they came from

Well I was wondering if they could be pods only thing that makes me think different is their tails curl under them

My local pet store owner said when bristle worms get big big more like 6+ inches it is possible for them to go after bottom dwelling fish. If you have tons of bristle worms like I use to, leave a small piece of silverside along he side of the tank and come look at like 1 or 2 am after lights are off and Itll be covered in worms. Pretty gross looking!

kylekody said:
My local pet store owner said when bristle worms get big big more like 6+ inches it is possible for them to go after bottom dwelling fish. If you have tons of bristle worms like I use to, leave a small piece of silverside along he side of the tank and come look at like 1 or 2 am after lights are off and Itll be covered in worms. Pretty gross looking!

I had a two inch goby that would share the same cave with a 4+" bristle worm, no problems.

Back
Top Bottom