Dotty back species Id please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can you post a better photo (and yes, I know how difficult they are to photograph!). It's probably Ogilbyina novaehollandiae, but I would need a better look to be sure.

Tony

It's so hard lol keeps moving looks like a ghost pictures

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I still can't see some important details. It does look like it is rather underweight though. My best guess is still Ogilbyina novaehollandiae. Do an image search on that species and see if it matches up. Aside from coloration, the thing to check closely for is the position of the dorsal fin. This species has the dorsal fin further foward than in any other dottyback. The origin (start of the fin) is just behind a vertical through the preopercle (so about halfway between the posterior edge of the eye and the end of the head). Most other dottybacks have the dorsal fin origin above the posterior end of the head.

Tony

Idk why it looks skinny feed it a lot of mysis shrimp and it's the one getting the most food from the clowns and thanks I will try to snap better pictures and thanks so much for the help tried searching on my own but cannot find any thing

Very close to this one has same black one it back fin
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416193718.657538.jpg

I should point out that there are two other species that are closely related to P. elongatus. One (P. striatus), is readily distinguished in having dark lines on the body. The other (P. fuligifinis) is much more difficult to separate from P. elongatus. Mostly it has darker fins - though you really need to see specimens side-by-side to see this. I'm not sure it's ever entered the hobby, as it has a restricted distribution in the Philippines. You can download the description of P. fuligifinis here: http://www.mapress.com/zootaxa/2011/f/zt03140p059.pdf

Yes that's the closes one Pseudochromis elongatus and its a dark purplish color with the black tail outline yellow eyes and yellow on its back fin

Let me compare them and see what is closer

Pseudochromis fuligifinis is the closest one has all the characteristics and thank you so much so is it considered rare had it for 3 yrs without knowing what kind of dotty back

Ok found out something I had a different profile last year and you commented on one of the picture of the dotty back but this year the dotty back completely changed color check it out it use to be bright with orange
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416200988.689853.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416201001.412728.jpg
So why has he changed to yellow and have a dark purple body ?

Maybe a female orange tail dotty back

Many, if not most, dottyback species change sex (or more correctly, are simultaneous hermaphrodites that allocate to one or other sex). The colour changes that are observed in many dottybacks is probably associated with sex change. However, I have been reluctant to link colour to sex for many of these. My observations are mostly on preserved museum specimens, and I often have little idea of their live coloration (unless a given specimen was photographed when freshly dead). In any case, because they are hermaphrodites, it's often difficult to decide on the sex of a specimen, because both gonad tissue types may be present. If I had to guess, I suspect the dark coloration is the male expression for P. elongatus and P. fuligifinis. More detailed studies are needed, however.

Tony

That is pretty interesting and thanks for your knowledge now I know more about this dotty back that im pretty sure was labeled with a wrong species name ! And it's so cool that they could change color based on sex and I'm pretty sure that has happened because i seen it change completely and does not look the same as last year

That is cool I always thought that was just an invertebrate thing

Yea it is I thought only clownfish change gender and it's cool knowing I got a unique fish like this going to upgrade to a bigger tank soon

Back
Top Bottom