Egg Case

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

diveonin2000

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just wanted to ask a quick question. Will a fish lay eggs even if there isn't another fish of the same speices of the opposite sex in the tank? I wouldn't think so but I am curious.
I have an egg sack about the size of a marble all white in color with long strings attaching it to my live rock. Now the only things I have in my tank that I have more than one of is A: Scarlet Hermits B: Cortez Hermits C:Turbo Snails. I would assume it is from the hermits but which one and how long till the things hatch?

I know a digital picture would be nice and I will try to get one tonight.

I know a digital picture would be nice and I will try to get one tonight.
(y)

It won't be the fish (no mate), hermits (brood spawners) or turbo snail (spawn scatterers) and the cerith lay eggs in a streemer pattern.

Cheers
Steve

Here is the pic. It is the best I could do seeing how the egg sack is sort of on the back side of the rock.

Attachments

• dsc00334.jpg
    dsc00334.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 142
It's a ball sponge with a spaghetti worm beneath/protruding from it.

Cheers
Steve

The only thing is the spagehtti part is coming out of the ball of white. I haven't added any live rock for 4 or 5 months now and 1 week ago this thing just "appeared" littlerally overnight. Now if I remember my biology wouldn't a sponge take a while to grow from a few cells to a mass? Not just appear?
I understand we are all just trying to help each other out.

But a funny thing now that I look at it. It used to be more under that green algae area. You know up and to the right. So it has moved.

Anyway, if it turns out it is a spaghetti worm, first are they bad and if they are what do I do to rid myself of it.

I can asure you the "tentacle" part is defiantely a spaghetti worm. They are completely harmless and should be left alone. As to the white mass, ball sponge was more of a guess considering the size and shape. Could be something else but you'd need to post a much better, clearer image close up.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-06/rs/index.htm

Cheers
Steve

The newest pic. It seems to move on its own. There is nothing beneath it I checked when I moved the rock to get this better picture.

Attachments

• dsc00350_136.jpg
    dsc00350_136.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 53
Back
Top Bottom