Encrusted Pods?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scenicad

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
On the side of my rock, there are these encrusted pod things that open and close and a little feather like arm thing shoots out and pulls back in. It's like they're breathing. What are they?

Yeah, we maybe talking about the same thing. I should have checked yours first. Mine are very small too. Like a pencil eraser.

Still no answer as to what they are though.....

Those are called featherduster, a very pretty type of worm. Very neat little creatures. :D
Mine are very small too. Like a pencil eraser
Those may be Qtip sponges, also pretty cool.
No worries, all signs of good things happening in your systems.

quarryshark said:
Those are called featherduster

Mine are definitely not featherdusters (at least not any type of featherduster I've ever seen in a phot). These are completely encrusted in the rock except for the tongue/feather/thing that darts out and back in extremely quickly. There is no "handle" part of the feather duster -- it is flat, flush with the rock, and the extension does not stay extended for more than an instant.

Ah...I had them too. Unfortunately they died off after a few months. I assume from starvation.
Not 100% sure, but they appeared to be some kind of bivalve. Totally harmless.

yea barnacles and unless you overfeed you tank they will not live long ! they are very hungry little animals :)

Oh, that's too bad! They're cool. They really make the rock look as if it is actually alive. And their breathing-like movement is pretty soothing to watch. Oh well. I'm sure once I'm able to stock the tank there will be much more soothing things to watch! :fadein:

Back
Top Bottom