Eunicid Worm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I am almost 98% positive I have one but has not harmed anything yet. Unfortuntely I feel a pic is almost impossible because it moves lightning fast if I am lucky enough to spot him.

It lives in a rock under my ricordia. The only thing I can ever see in the day are its little striped looking tentacles peering from a rock. A few times at night I have seen it looking like it was munching on LR. If I shine the light, BOOM it is gone.

Are there any other worms that could possibly look similar. I am positive it is not a common bristle worm. Any advice on it? I am not rushing because nothing has yet been harmed and I am trying to learn from the experience.

I'm not sure about the worm, but if you use a red lense on your flashlight, you might be able to see better, and not scare it, possibly getting a pic...Is that the same worm you posted before, the greyish one?

Mike469 said:
I am almost 98% positive I have one but has not harmed anything yet. Unfortuntely I feel a pic is almost impossible because it moves lightning fast if I am lucky enough to spot him

If it's lightning fast, it is probably a Eunicid. The first time I saw one move, I freaked. Does it have five tentacles on it's head?

Hey I have one to. its about 2 1/2 inches long and your right its impossible to get a picture

Yeah it does have 5. I am 100% positive. It just has not hurt anything yet and I have a lot of corals.

It lives in a rock that is covered in 6 real nice green with blue rim Florida Rics and nothing has been hurt.

I know it has to come out but I guess I am nervous to mess with things to much.

It is still small for a eunicid so I am trying to learn from it by testing it out. I just dont want it to get to big and take up a new home because the current rock is small. It usually only comes out about half way(So I think) As soon as I flash a light it is gone.

I wonder if it is still small, if my six line will have any interest in it?

Mike469 said:
I wonder if it is still small, if my six line will have any interest in it?

I wouldn't count on it. The question is, in 6 months, will it have an interest in your six-line?

The question is, in 6 months, will it have an interest in your six-line?

Hmmm........I am not going to let it go six months. Good point. They do get big.

I am a wierdo I tell you. I say I am 100% sure it is but ocean creatures are easily mistaken even by the pros sometimes. I have read many threads that they munched on rics and that is where it is.

I find it strange that nothing has been munched on yet, however I added LR at different times. They can curl up well. I could of got it from a frag as far as I know.

You dont think I should wait until innocent until proven guilty?

I posted this thread a few weeks ago and I used to see it every night and now I actually have not seen it in a little while??

Mike469 said:
The question is, in 6 months, will it have an interest in your six-line?

You dont think I should wait until innocent until proven guilty?

If it has 5 tentacles, I would probably capture it and throw it in the sump. When 6-lines sleep they make a mucous cocoon which makes them sitting ducks for a larger Eunicid.

" When 6-lines sleep they make a mucous cocoon which makes them sitting ducks for a larger Eunicid."

Can you explain what six line do more?

I always wonder where he is at night?

Mike469 said:
I always wonder where he is at night?

4, 8, and 12-line wrasses do the same thing too. They basically settle into the rock and wrap themselves in mucous.

All species of Pseudocheilinus are coral reef dwellers. These small wrasses remain secretive and are rather difficult to approach underwater. They quite effectively hide in the small nooks and crannies created within a reef structure. Their main defense is simply to disappear within the rockwork. They will wedge themselves within this rockwork and remain hidden until the perceived threat is no longer a concern. The rockwork is also used as their sleeping quarters. All Pseudocheilinus spp. are diurnal, spending the evening inside a mucus cocoon, much like the fishes in the family Scaridae. This cocoon has been theorized to protect the entombed fish from predators while they sleep. Beyond providing a secure retreat, the reef structure also provides the prey for these wrasses. They are very effective predators of microfauna. Gut analysis of this species has revealed the staple of their diet to be small benthic crustaceans, such as copepods and amphipods. Isopods, small fish, crabs, shrimp, and polychaetes were also regularly noted in most species.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-08/hcs3/index.php

Worm....

Hey I'm brand new to the site. I've actually got a couple of what i think you may be talking about. Check out these videos i took.

http://www.aquarium.fennell.ca/Videos/01010055.AVI
http://www.aquarium.fennell.ca/Videos/01010056.AVI
http://www.aquarium.fennell.ca/Videos/01010057.AVI

I always thought these were kind of interesting worms.. but today actually i saw one chomp into a baby starfish i got.. which is what prompted my serach on the web for them. I'm not sure how long mine is, however another person who had one and ended up busting the coral open to get it out said his was about 10 inches long.

I'm only running a 10 gallon tank so it isn't too hard for me to move stuff around to get access to them, but yea they are super quick worms. I have got to get them out of there but i'm not yet sure how to do this. Hopefully they havn't reproduced. I have no reason to think they have though, yet...

Anyhow, let me know if these are what you got.

Chris

coincedence.. not likely

One thing i have noticed about these worms is.. so far in all cases, that i have heard of, the reef has been made of LR from Fiji. This would make sens as these worms are native to the waters of Fiji. So if anyone is in the market for some LR, you may want to consider this, as these worms are a pain in the *** to get rid of. About the only option is taking of the piece of rock and cracking it open and physically removing the worm.

Back
Top Bottom