Ever seen this

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jamesdean

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Anybody ever seen somthing like this

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110712_140026.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110712_140026.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 312
Kinda blurry anyway to get a better picture. It doesn't look like Aiptasia could be some kind of polyp or something. But a better pic will def help.

The brown thing with tentacles in the back is aiptasia and you want to get rid of it ASAP. Then the yellow thing in the front is a sponge and they are just harmless filter feeders.

It spreads like wildfire. So you want to get rid of it quick. It will sometimes even grow on corals. You can vet aiptasia x, joes juice, pickling lime with some water mixed in it, kallwasser. Any of those and you take a syringe and just cover them with it

Aiptasia are commonly called glass anemones. By far one the most common pest in home aquaria. They spread like wildfire and will sting your coral. Most folk kill them. If you choose not to, you will eventually have a tank full of them. They get pretty much the same treatment as algae from most folks... Catch it early and get rid of it or it'll take over your tank.

A better pic would help with the ID though. It does look like aiptasia. Try to touch it with something and if it goes into a hole it most likely is. If you choose to eradicate it... There are LOTS of past threads you can access to tell you how.

Peppermint shrimp will sometimes eat them. I bought 5 of them for my tank and they took care of mine. However, some folks tell you they are hit and miss. Make sure that they are the Lysmata wudremani species of peppermints and not the camel back shrimp. They look a great deal alike... But peppermints should be almost translucent.

How fasf do they grow or reproduce. Ive had it about a month now and the size hasent changd

They grow pretty quick. I started with 2 and ended up with about 10 in under a month. I bought two peppermint to eat them and at first, they wouldn't touch them, then all of a sudden over the course of 2, maybe 3 days, they were all gone. I hear butterfly fish will also eat them. Aiptasia X kills them, and also encourages feeding. Totally reef safe stuff. I was also told by the LFS that if your aiptasia munchers aren't munching, they will once you try to kill them with Aiptasia X.

Copper banded butterfly's are also a good fish that will eat it. But will also eat other polyps

Back
Top Bottom