Fancy Brittle Star? Six Legs!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scoot

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I believe this is a "Fancy Brittle Star", it crawled out of a new live rock after a few days. Its a little different because it has six legs, 3 of those are obviously growing back after some sort of injury.

It's BARELY moving. I see it move about once an hour.

DSC00082-copy.jpg

Its tiny - about 3/4" at best all stretched out.

We also found some bristle worms poking their ugly heads out of the live rock after about 2 days. We picked up an arrow crab to go after them (yuck). The wife and kids was so grossed out by them she skipped dinner after I pointed them out.[/img]

Yeah, there are little spines on the legs, its so small, I couldn't see them with the naked eye, but the full-sized photo (link below) is clearer.

http://usera.imagecave.com/Scott/Fish/DSC00082.JPG

I'm concerned that he's not moving much. Is that a sign he might be weak/stressed/dying?

I've watched him with the lights really dim. He moved about 2 inches from midnight last night to 8AM this morning.

Is the arrow crab going to turn him into a snack? I'm thinking about putting a barrier around the star to keep him safe until he's a little bigger...

These little stars usually stay within the rockwork. It may be stressed, it's hard to say.

My brittle star hardly moves at all during the day, except during feeding.
Go to the supermarket and buy one scallop. Cut a piece of it for him and see how fast he moves. If he doesn't take it, then I'd be worried.

I never saw my brittle star move so fast when I did that. He actually swiped it out of the claws of my scarlet hermits. He was dragging them with it! It was hysterical. :lol: I got a little clip of it, but it's too big to post here. If you want me to email it to you, pm me.

Do I need to worry about the arrow crab? He's settled in and started to work his way around the tank, I'm worried he's going to notice the star and make a quick meal of him. Its a 75 gallon tank, so I've been able to keep them separate, mostly, so far.

I would think the star would have moved into the rock by now. If not, then I would think the star isn't healthy. In that case, yes. The arrow crab will probably take care of him.

Actually I think the current in the place he is, is too strong for him... I've noticed him getting blown over a few times when trying to move. I think if I isolate him with some sort of L-shaped divider (he's in a corner) that might cut down the current, and keep the crab out, well, at least a little.

These little stars spend their time mostly living in the rock. You'll notice it doesn't' have much of a disc at all, that's typical for the rock dwellers. He should be in the rock. The fact that he isn't shows there is a problem with him. Could be from lack of acclimation. I'm assuming since this is a hitchhiker, it wasn't drip acclimated. Sometimes they make it, sometimes they don't. Blocking it in a small area really isn't gonna help with it's survival in my opinion. I would place it on the rock or behind the rock and hope for the best. Being exposed is only stressing it more.

Back
Top Bottom