First coral, help with info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bkmrsteel

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just got my first coral, although I wasn't able to get clear info on it.

All my tests are good, no3 is about 5-10, little higher then I would like. Reduced feeding, and my plants are growing very well, so they should help a lot more very soon.

I know I jumped in getting things without knowing, but I was able to get these 4 frags for $35.

ForumRunner_20120702_022816.jpg

Two in this one.

ForumRunner_20120702_022836.jpg

Little mushroom?

ForumRunner_20120702_022851.jpg

Any help, thanks.

Bkmrsteel said:
Just got my first coral, although I wasn't able to get clear info on it.

All my tests are good, no3 is about 5-10, little higher then I would like. Reduced feeding, and my plants are growing very well, so they should help a lot more very soon.

I know I jumped in getting things without knowing, but I was able to get these 4 frags for $35.

Two in this one.

Little mushroom?

Any help, thanks.

First pic appears to be a branching hammer.
Second appears to be zooanthids with possible green galaxea behind, not sure
And final one appears to be a mushroom.

All look like they could use some nursing back to health from this fish store, hopefully you can get them to start opening up. Were they closed at the store?

Checked online, thats what I found.

No, they where open before bagging. I was thinking the same thing about them not looking hot. it was also a record hot day, and the ac didn't exactly keep up. Tank got to 82.....

Aside from temp, what can I do to help them the most?

Bkmrsteel said:

No, they where open before bagging. I was thinking the same thing about them not looking hot. it was also a record hot day, and the ac didn't exactly keep up. Tank got to 82.....

Maybe temp got too hot from LFS to tank in the bag? Just a thought. But best thing you can do is keep you parameters in check and stable. All you can do.

Let my gf hold them on the way back, so they may have been mishandled...

Didn't know if there was something I could feed them that might help them.

I'll post progress pics,

Bkmrsteel said:
Let my gf hold them on the way back, so they may have been mishandled...

Didn't know if there was something I could feed them that might help them.

I'll post progress pics,

Nah, they just need time to acclimate and recover. Also they wont readily feed when closed or stressed, but to just let them work it out for a few weeks.

Did you?

How did you acclimate them, maybe just getting use to the new water

Schism said:
First pic appears to be a branching hammer.
Second appears to be zooanthids with possible green galaxea behind, not sure
And final one appears to be a mushroom.

They all look to be exactly as you had thought. Think they where in shock for sure, as they are improving.

Ammonia and nitrites are zero, and nitrates are less then 5. Ph 8.2, alc 3.5-4 meq l

Got a bristle star and feather worm today. will get more feather worms soon, so they can reproduced. And I think they are really cool

Bkmrsteel said:

Dont thing the temp would do that my tank sits at 82-84 and my hammer fabulous. How slowly did u acclimate them . If you put them in to fast they may be shocked and still recovering .

As you can see my tank at 84 let's my mushrooms Zoa's and hammer do great .

Attachments

• image-781256260.jpg
    image-781256260.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 104
Everything is doing much better now, just took time. The tooth coral even looks to have grown some, forming new polups and existing ones getting larger. The sweepers that come out have become much longer as well.

ForumRunner_20120712_161838.jpg

ForumRunner_20120712_161930.jpg

ForumRunner_20120712_162006.jpg

ForumRunner_20120712_162103.jpg

Back
Top Bottom