Flatworms???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

something_fishy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was told I have flatworms. They are these tiney little white spots on the glass by the hundreds. Some are bigger and have legs, they look like tiny white spiders. How do I get rid of these things and what is this a sign of???

sounds more like hydroids to me. it is a sign your tank is maturing, it is completely normal and harmless. Wipe them off when you clean the glass.

Yeah, that doesn't sound like flatworms to me either. I'd agree with Kevin. I did read that a 6 line wrasse would eat flatworms though. Anyone heard about or had experience with that?
Logan J

I've heard the same thing, but it is hit or mis. Mandarins are supposed to eat them as well, but they also are hit or miss.

What do the flat worms look like? I have some kind of worms that come out of the sand and eat the dot algae off the glass. There is many of them and they look like roots on the glass. Are these flatworms?They sure clean the glass good, though! :roll:

i think flatworms look like a misshapen square. kind of pointy at each corner. they are flat hence the name flatworm and they can be maroon in color. they form sheets on the live rock and they feed of excess nutrients in the water. they reproduce during the day and especially when it the water temp is above 80 degrees. they are the devil to any aquarium.

flatworms03.jpg

flat0045.jpg

acoel_flatworms.jpg

Some flatworms are bad, some are just there. The biggest problem with the ones that aren't parasitic is they reproduce so quickly and will over run the tank. Just to be sure your's isn't something else, how bout a pic?

hmmm, it is some sort of snail or nudi. Can you find out if it has a small shell on it's back? Do you ever see a mouth? If that is a flatworm....it is a monstor and I wouldn't put my hand in the tank for feart it would latch on, like one of those face sucking critters from classic trek.

Back
Top Bottom