Found a crab? of some sort

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

loganj

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have noticed, in the past few days, if I shine the flashlight in the tank at night, something leaves a dust trail. This is a high speed, low drag critter! I found, in a hole in the rock, what appears to be a crab of some sort. It is about 1/4" in diameter, has fuzzy legs, two claws, and is a very light brown in color. He won't come out of the hole and I can barely see him up in there. Sorry...no photo...don't have the means to get one at the present time. Any ideas? Is this a common hitch hiker on live rock?
Logan J

Check out this link http://www.reefs.org/hhfaq/ and see if anything photoed looks like your crab.

Instead of using a real flashlight try to use one that gives off a red light. Its often been said that RED light is unditectible by nocternal critters. Maybe a red film over the flahlight or if you can find a red lens.

Crabs are very common hitchhikers on quality live rock. There are just too many species of crab to give a positive Id, even if you had a close-up picture.

You will need to remove the crab, if it's brown with hairy legs there's a 99.9% chance that it's a predatory species.

Crab

Well, no positive ID on the crab as of yet. Gonna try the red light on him and see if I can get a good look without spooking him. I am, going against what is probably very good advice, going to leave him be for now. All that's in the tank now are hermits, snails, and a peppermint shrimp. Not sure if any of these are on a crabs menu, but nothing has come up missing yet. I have found, as I get older, that I have a hard time killing anything. Even a crab. I wonder, if it is a predatory species, if I could feed him well enough to leave other tank inhabitants alone? I think I'll try putting a small piece of shrimp at his hole tonight and see if he'll eat it.
Logan J

Crab

Not that I can see...seems to be all light brown. I fed it a piece of krill the other night and he seemed to like it very much. I have been beating the bushes trying to find a pic of something that looks similar with no luck so far.
Logan J

crab

Crab, as best as I can tell from photos, may be the 7-11 crab. This means he has to go or become the sole inhabitant of the tank :( A word of warning to all who might do a search on crabs: Be sure to specify "saltwater" crabs or you will learn more about cooties and lice than you EVER wanted to know :lol: .
Logan J

LOL Thank you Logan, I'll remember that.
I have what sounds like the same crab, or something very similar to it. It was a hitchhiker on a shroom rock. I've had it for 6 months now and so far it only comes partially out of it's hole and only to grab food. I can't get it out of the rock unless I literally bust up that rock, so it'll stay for now.

hitcher?

how does a crab come along with a rock? Don't you see it when you by it? doesn't it dry out?

Ed

Crab

Apparently, crabs can live out of water for some time. I know if you go to the beach, you will see them scurrying all over the place at certain times. This rock was only out of water (when I got it anyway) for about 4 hours. How do you get one? This piece of Fiji rock has several caves in it that range from 1/4" to about 3/4" in diameter and of unknown depth. This crab was hiding in one of these...still is for that matter :). He is pretty small...probably about 3/16" in diameter not including his legs and claws. He made his first appearance about a week after the rock was put in the tank.
Logan J

To catch an unwanted crab:

1 - Find a tall smooth sided drinking glass
2 - rubberband some bait to a small piece of reef rubble
3 - Lean the glass against a rock near the crabs home
4 - place the baited pebble in the glass and leave it overnight
5 - remove the crab in the morning. This may take several attempts.

crab removal

Thanks for the tip...I would have never thought of that. Will try it this week.
Logan J

Back
Top Bottom