Found a starfish in my aqurm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lauramichelle

Aquarium Advice Activist
My tank has just completed its initial cycle. I was getting a water sample to have tested prior to CUC addition and discovered this tiny starfish. Is it something I need to worry about? Thank you.

image-1776856752.jpg

image-2012847361.jpg

As to my knowledge, most of those species are ok. Some can harm some corals. The only real problem is that they reproduce at an alarming rate. I had some in my 30 gallon and started picking them out after awhile. They're kind of cool to look at at first.

They are called asterina stars. I have them too. So far they don't bug my corals but I've heard of people having to remove them because they munch on corals.

That's the name! I was leaning towards Astraea, but I knew those were snails...

Lucky! Keep em :) they will clean your tank walls
if they get out of hand get a clown shrimp to eat them. :)

Thank you everyone for the help. I knew this site would be fantastic.

Thank you Mr X. Is there any way of telling if my sand sifting starfish is getting enough to eat? I don't know if he eats algae like the little one, but he seems to stay buried under the sand. I would hate for him to be growing hungry.

Sand sifters don't do well in closed systems. I've never seen them eat algae. They allegedly eat microfauna in the sand bed and if you have a new tank, it's not going to have any of that. Chances are it's starving to death right now. I have heard some people having luck putting meaty foods in the sand bed, but i've never seen a sand sifting starfish eat a piece of meaty foods.

That's not good news Mr X. I guess I'll take him back to the coral shop I bought him from. I'd rather do that than have him die because of me.

I've got one as well and I am worried about him starving as well. I would like to see mine go to a very established tank because the stores tank might starve him too

Back
Top Bottom