Found these growing under LR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rush2210

Aquarium Advice Newbie
There are about 4 or 5 different ones of these things growing on the bottom side of live rock. What are they? Should I get rid of them?

Attachments

• image-1233391460.jpg
    image-1233391460.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 168
  • image-2037474901.jpg
    image-2037474901.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 174
There are about 4 or 5 different ones of these things growing on the bottom side of live rock. What are they? Should I get rid of them?

Looks like some kind of mushroom. Almost maybe a ricordia. Not 100% sure though. Just thinking aloud.

I have two they come out at night. No worries with them, filter feedees

They are corynactis. The pseudocorynactis are the ones that get big and have the potential to eat fish. These are it's tiny, carnivorous, cousins. They are similar to anemones in that they capture prey with those little tentacles. They aren't going to hurt anything that you are concerned about.

They are also called strawberry anemones. I have a bunch of them in my tank. They can sting some of the corals. Mostly effecting the zoa colonies causing them to close up. I keep a few of them alive in my system but the ones that get to close to any of my colonies I scrape off and siphon out. Also I had a cleaner shrimp that got stuck to one right after it molted. If u keep them just keep a close eye on them.

Feeding them regularly keeps them from extending there stingers. But also encourages them to spawn. As soon as I get home I will post some pix of the ones I have in my tank.

A.K.

The first pic is of one I usually feed. It's closed up right now after feeding it regularly they turn a really bright pink. Or atleast the ones I have turn pink. I see online that they come in all dif colors. The second pic is one that I have been trying to to get rid of for the past few days. I had a hermit climbing on the palythoa just above forcing it into the stingers of the anemone.

Attachments

• image-3500760592.jpg
    image-3500760592.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 118
  • image-792815332.jpg
    image-792815332.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 105
Back
Top Bottom