Found this in my tank :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dralarms

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is this a mantis? It sure is a fast littel bugger. :roll:

MANTIS.jpg

Thanks, Thats what I thought. Well that little bugger sirvived a carbonated dip and a cycle. :roll: Saw him tonight and decided to try a high sg dip took a bucket of water to 1.030 (or maybe a little higher), and he shot opout of the rock like his rear was on fire. :mrgreen:

Anybody want a mantis? :lol:

I have 4 befriended mantises and have found them to be a blast to watch. I hand feed the two "tamer" ones, it's interesting to watch their little beady eyes follow your hand.

I wouldn't want to hand feed those things for fear of my hand! I dont' think I can talk my wife into another small tank just for a mantis, but I would love to have one. Is it really a concern to have one in a glass tank?

Hey
If you got this in your gulf/keys rock i would imagine this is much less aggressive then the imported fiji rock. Mike (owner liverocks.com) keeps these guys in his reef tanks. He says the key is to just keep them fed, he has never had an issue with it being bothered, more his damsels and other fish beating up on it.

I as well have 2 pistol shrimp that i hear popping all the time in my sps/clam tank. Never had an issue with them.

Good luck with your tank,
Zack

marknmelissa said:
It's a mantis shrimp. Apparently they can generate more pressure per square inch than any other ocean critter. Yowie!
-Mark
I think I remember seeing them on TV, maybe. Don't they generate the force of a .22 long rifle round? I saw something on PBS about some sort of water critter that was like that...

Crazy...

marknmelissa wrote:
It's a mantis shrimp. Apparently they can generate more pressure per square inch than any other ocean critter. Yowie!
-Mark

I think I remember seeing them on TV, maybe. Don't they generate the force of a .22 long rifle round? I saw something on PBS about some sort of water critter that was like that...

Crazy...

And that's why I wanted to catch the little bugger.

You guys - as Zack said, there are many different varieties of Mantises (Stomatopods). The little ones riding around on the Gulf and Keys rock are just lil' snappers. They are not the kind that gets huge and blows out tank glass, that would be a large Californian species if I have read correctly.

They are very intelligent animals, just keep them fed if you choose to keep them. I have found them to be very rewarding animals to keep and they are quite personable.

Check out this site for more detailed info if you like.

http://www.blueboard.com/mantis/

Hey Snap, thanks for the info. Very informative. I still think I'll leave them out of my system though :mrgreen:

Heh!! I hear ya. My wife would side with you on this issue.

Actually, she would just as soon have my little mantises swirling their way down the toilet.

Ah well. :D

You're right about the different varieties of mantises. I couldn't tell how big the one was in the picture. The really dangerous ones get really large. I've seen one about 7 inches long. They are the ones that can generate forces similar to a gunshot.
Good luck getting rid of them (if that's what you decide to do).
-Mark :frog:

Back
Top Bottom