Given coral frag

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beej1254

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My LFS gave me this frag tonight. Any ideas on what it may be? I was thinking a birds nest but I'm not 100%. Thank you for the help

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1447980678.770265.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Either birdsnest or montipora digitata. Hard to tell from the picture quality on the polyp structure but it's one of the 2

Thank you very much for the quick reply! I'm really hoping its birds nest. Sorry about the picture quality...I have it acclimating and didn't want to take it out

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1447986024.462078.jpg

Better shot I think

Thanks again! I'm very happy because I wanted a birds nest! Hopefully I can keep it alive

It's one of the easiest sps! Lots of light and flow and it'll take off like a weed. I started off with a frag smaller than that and now it's bigger than a softball 1.5 years later

This may sound stupid but the LFS said they weren't sure if it was going to be green or pink. Personally it looks yellow to me which unlike the others people tend to say should be in lower light with good flow.

I don't know much about birds nest so I'll take your advice and I appreciate it. I know some corals depending on light exposure can change colors but what do you think about this one??

It looks like my green polyp orange base one did before it grew out. You definitely want good flow on it. Just acclimate it to the light. From my experience the more light the better with that species of birdsnest. It looks pretty "hairy" right?

Awesome! And yes it does look pretty hairy. I have according to what the power heads say somewhere around 6-7k gph of flow in my 5' 110 tank. So I'm hoping it'll do well. All of my other corals are spreading and opening like crazy. Right now I have it placed in a shaded spot low on the rocks just off the sand bed

Would you mind posting a picture of yours??

Here you go
LfWTmmy.jpg

Amazing! That is a huge colony
Thanks for sharing! I can't wait for mine to grow out

Back
Top Bottom