glass anenome?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sstanle4

Aquarium Advice Freak
we have a ten gallon tank with about three pounds of live rock. we are new to the saltwater aquarium life and are still learning about everything.
Number One: the other day we picked up one of the rocks and an unidentified object floated out from under it... we pulled it out of the tank and laid it on the table and determined that it was some sort of worm. it was all tangled up so we stretched it out and it was over a foot long! but it was really thin and had little tiny itty bitty legs (like a millipede) but was not segmented... as we were stretching it out on the table, we accidentally cut it in half and it started bleeding (see picture below for worm. if you look in the middle of it, you can kind of see where it bled out)
Number Two: we also found an anenome in our tank on one of our rocks. it is about the size of a dime now. it came up a couple weeks ago but we thought it was a glass anenome so we got a peppermint shrimp to take care of it. well. it seemed as though the shrimp ate it but it came back really quick and now has a stem on it- like a small tree. (see picture below)
can anyone help us with identifying these objects? please? pretty please?

Attachments

• cache_00000132b8435d77372.jpg
    cache_00000132b8435d77372.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 157
  • cache_00000132cb28efcd37a.jpg
    cache_00000132cb28efcd37a.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 152
it looks like a glass anemone...i would get a few more peppermint shrimps...they spread quickly

the LFS told us that we could only have one for a 10 gallon tank

ok well that works but does anyone know what that worm thing is lol

Could be a bristle worm. I have some in my reef that are about 8 inch long. The other one is aiptasia aka glass anemone. You will want to get rid of the asap before they become a plague in your tank! Not all peppermint shrimp eat them! You can also buy aiptasia-x and kill them with that.
Good luck
Brad

Could be a bristle worm. I have some in my reef that are about 8 inch long. The other one is aiptasia aka glass anemone. You will want to get rid of the asap before they become a plague in your tank! Not all peppermint shrimp eat them! You can also buy aiptasia-x and kill them with that.
Good luck
Brad

IME the peppermint shrimp will eat the smaller aiptasia, I think they get too tough as they get larger.

I havent had much luck with my peppermints eating it, small or large. lol I just use kalkwasser paste and inject them, neat and clean and immediate. :-D

I dont think its a bristle worm because I just googled it and it looked nothing like those

Our anenome is still there. Peppermints did not eat it. And it's not spreading, but it looks to be getting bigger. What do we do?
Oh, and how do we know it's a glass anenome?

Well you can take the rock and burn it with a torch, try injecting with lemon juice or vinegar, or aptasia x. I have noticed that there are about 3 different shrimp being sold as peppermint shrimp. Real peppermints sway and have dark eyes, dancing shrimp sway but have green eyes, and there are camel back shrimp that look a lot like real peppermint shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom