Goby Id

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CoraltheClownfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
I caught 4 of these guys Today. I have no clue what species, all I know is that they are gobies. Please Help!

img_1146060_0_7848c5957f88eaecf054c4f7d43923c9.jpg

img_1146060_1_eefb3ed83438dd041249d49457d61dfd.jpg

That looks like a lawnmower blenny (Salarias fasciatus), but if you caught them, I'm not sure. They are not native to FL waters.

I'm thinking its a kind of blenny. The two antennae looking things on the head make me think so. They are common to blennies IME.

+1 on the blenny. There is a Florida Blenny (Chasmodes Saburrae) that would be my best guess.

You should be careful about harvesting livestock. I'm sure there are some local laws you might want to check into.

There are laws but I have not broken any the only laws are that you can't take live rock, or game fish, and when taking tropicals, you must have an aerator on the bucket and I did have one. I hope I didn't break any laws. Thanks Guys

There are laws but I have not broken any the only laws are that you can't take live rock, or game fish, and when taking tropicals, you must have an aerator on the bucket and I did have one. I hope I didn't break any laws. Thanks Guys

I would have no idea, I just know they are out there. Sounds like you did your homework though. How did you catch them?

Ive seen things like that around Panama City. They were hanging out with little damsel fish. My guess is a blenny also. Looks so much like the lawnmower blenny...

matt

It's definitely a blenny, and I agree with the Molly Miller Blenny identification (Scatella cristata). Some of the other suggested blenny species differ in lacking the distinctive cirri (feathery appendages) on the nape.

Tony

Back
Top Bottom