Grape Caulerpa?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AndyH5512

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello all. I have what I believe to be grape caulerpa in my main tank. I have no clue how it got there. It is a light green, clingy vine with a lot of small light green bubbles on it. I have manually plucked as much as I can. Does anything eat it? What can I do to get rid of it? TIA.

Andy

I have a ton of it in my 10 gallon FOWLR, it's a good nutrient sponge, and when I have too much I give it to a friend who has a tang, or to the LFS for store credit.

When I first noticed it in my aquarium, I was happy since it is a nutrient sponge. But after a while it got to be too much. I have a kole tang, and it doesnt seem to eat any of it. I will try a yellow tang and see if it can help. Thanks.

I had a Kole tang for many yrs and they wont mess with the grape calerpa but my yellow eats it like there is no tomorrow.

Mel, that is exactly what I want to hear. Thank you. I will be getting one, if not 2, Yellow Tangs this week. I have a 120, so I think they should be OK.....

AndyH5512 said:
I will be getting one, if not 2, Yellow Tangs this week. I have a 120, so I think they should be OK.....

Tangs are funny about numbers. If you get two, they may fight. They should be kept singular or in a small group. I'd stick with one since three might be overkill in a 120g.

I kind of agree with Cindy on that. Believe me one will be enough. just get a large one.

OK, that is good to know. If I were to add three, I should do it at once, right? That would eliminate the chance of one becoming territorial right out of the gate, correct? Thanks again.

AndyH5512 said:
OK, that is good to know. If I were to add three, I should do it at once, right? That would eliminate the chance of one becoming territorial right out of the gate, correct? Thanks again.

That's right. :)

I think buying fish just to get rid of a temporary problem is pretty much a mistake. Especially seeing as yellow tangs can get very aggressive. If you had always wanted a yellow tang, that is a different story. I have never seen grape caulerpa that couldnt be managed by manual removal. If you decide that the tang is problem fish down the road, I guarantee you it will be alot harder getting it out of the tank.

Just my two cents.

Hara said:
I have never seen grape caulerpa that couldnt be managed by manual removal.

I wish it were that simple for me because so far it hasn't been. I'm always picking at it trying to keep it at bay. Adding a fish to eradicate it wouldn't be my first choice either but, if it's gonna be done, gotta do it right. Caulerpa is a serious pain. I was lucky enough for it to come already on my live rock. I tried to cultivate some and left it grow in for a while. HUGE mistake. When it gets a foot hold, it's almost impossible to get rid of. It reaches in between the corals which dislodges them when you (I) pull it out. In a reef, it can be a big problem if you don't stay on it early. I also don't like to see fish suggested as a means to cure another problem but if it's something you want, go for it. A tang will mow it down.

I agree that the tang will take care of it but one will do the job. I put a ball as big as a softball in my tank every couple weeks and its gone in a few days. Do you have that much in your tank? I`m just thinking 3 would be too many.

To clarify, I have in fact wanted to get a yellow tang for some time. It was not just to eat the caulerpa, although that was a good selling point. I tried (and tried) to manually remove the caulerpa, to no avail. I ended up breaking coral, making a mess.

I acquired a naso tang and a yellow tang a few days ago. They get along great. As a matter of fact, they hang out together quite a bit. The naso tang seems to like the caulerpa more than the yellow tang. They are both great looking specimens, and the serve a purpose as well. Cant ask for much more than that.

They should get along together since they are different color and body shapes. Good Luck.

Eventually you will run out of calerpa and you`ll have to supplement your tank with more calerpa as I do or feed them some seaweed selects. They are herbivores and love green stuff. Hope all works out.

Back
Top Bottom