green growth in sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wapparia

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi could someone please help me to identify this green moss that has grown on my rock please. It is in my sump and I currently have light on 24/7 to help my chaeto grow.

It seems to trap air and when I disturb it the bubbles rise to top so I am hoping it isnt bubble algae. My tank has just finished cycling last week and I have just added cleaner shrimp red leg and 3 chromis

ForumRunner_20111223_211752.jpg

ForumRunner_20111223_211803.jpg

When you disturb bubble algae do the bubbles go to the top of the water and burst. I would have thought they would just float around

Hi thanks for replying. It comes off as a sheet and under it is hair algae. The bubbles escape rise to top and burst. After looking at the link I am confident it is calothrix. The light came with the tank and it is a yz-15w. D-hg. Water plant aquarium light. I think I have over done the light by leaving it on 24/7 for last month. How long should a sump light be left on to allow the chaeto to grow. Thanx for replying I appreciate your help

All you need is a regular lightbulb daylight and the light should be on when your main tank lights are off so if your main lights are on from 10 to 8 then your sump is on from 8 to 10.. also that will help the ph swing a bit as well

Whatever is in your sump can get to the display tank I would worry about it. Does it come off in sheets like cyano or is it bristly like a brillo pad. Try and identify it before you say well at least it isn't in my display tank ReefCleaners.org | Clean Up Crews and Macro Algae - Nuisance Algae ID Guide
one of my sumps has HA,red slime,black slime,chaeto and cyano but the dt is spotless,
I understand what you are saying but sumps aren't supposed to be pretty,algae's in your sumps help cut out competition for the nutrients in your system,leaving them in the sump will keep them out of your dt

one of my sumps has HA,red slime,black slime,chaeto and cyano but the dt is spotless,
I understand what you are saying but sumps aren't supposed to be pretty,algae's in your sumps help cut out competition for the nutrients in your system,leaving them in the sump will keep them out of your dt
I agree ,,(y)

Back
Top Bottom