Green live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scoot

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is this a crystalline algae? Its smooth, almost like it was painted on. The rocks on either side are both brownish, from cyano mostly. This piece was white (then brown from cyano) for the first month, but then started to turn bright green after the turbo's cleaned it up.

DSC00294-copy.jpg

How much light in tank and how large is tank? IME this is usually the predecessor to pink/purple coralline

Lighting is minimal - 2x32 watt florescents (this is just a FOWLR tank).

75g tank.

About 20 pounds of LR. No real algae presence at all right now (knock on wood). Just lots of the brown stuff on the sand and other LR pieces - either diatoms or cyano.

Still green. but not the intense green it was. It was REAL green for awhile. Looked like it was painted.

There's some pink and purple showing through - I'll get an update pic.

The rock next to it has picked up the same coloration - purple and pinks (in the green).

The coralline algae is a good thing, right?

I agree with Brenden (what else is new?). I had the greatest coraline growth when I first started and only had NO lights.

Here it is again, about a week later. It looks more green in the photo than it does in person.

greenrock2.jpg

You can see the rock to the right of it has picked up the same coloration. Here's a photo of that one a month ago:

DSC00106-copy.jpg

You can see its really changed.

Back
Top Bottom