Growth on feather duster?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

apollo6626

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys, so I have a feather duster and he's doing fine but there's something on his tube that I ignored for awhile but now I feel like it shouldn't be there. It's been there since I got it a month or so ago. It looks as if it's some kinda parasite. It has purple "roots" or thicker hairs coming off of it and two tubes (I thought it was the worm reproducing) and when I touch it, it pulsates and retracts. I'll post a picture later, but does this sound familiar at all?

Sounds very odd, nothing comes to mind at least. A pic would definitely help.

Pretty weird, kind of resembles scissipary reproduction in dusters, but maybe some kind of sponge. Also, you probably know the red wiry stuff is macroalgae.

It is? It looks like it's part of the growth. I thought for awhile it was reproducing, maybe something went wrong

Nope not at all. Just leave it, they're extremely cool and the closest thing in your tank that's related to humans :)

They're in the same phylum as us, Chordata. They're a colonial invert. Here ya gohttp://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunicate

Back
Top Bottom