Hair Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

booker

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Sorry for the pic, it's the best I could get. I've had red and green hair algae before but this is something I haven't seen. This tank is new just took LR out of the old one added some base rock to it and new sand. These are white and if it's hair algae I know the what a pain it is to get rid of so I just want to know what you think. Thanks.

BTW I don't have a phosphate test but I will be getting one. Nitrates are 0 on a normal AP test kit (not low range or anything) as is ammonia and nitrites. Use RO/DI water that reads 0 TDS and Reef Crystals salt.

Attachments

• pict1053copy_201.jpg
    pict1053copy_201.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 63
They are not hair algea that I can see. Almost looks like mucous webs that vermitid snails can give off. You`ll find a pic of them of this site. Just scan down to the article on Vermitid snails

Looks like some stuff I had when I first set my tank up. It is whitish, gets yellowish as it grows, is very fine and slimy feeling when you pull it out but doesn't attach to anything very strongly. I had it at plague proportions for about 6 weeks in my tank, fortunately it vacuums out very easily. Then over the course of a few weeks it went away on its own; I don't know what it was or if I did something to make it go away, but I think it just ran its course like diatoms do in a new tank.

Thanks, I believe it is the snail webs. I have a few of those on my LR but I have never seen them actually lose it. Oh well I didn't think it was hair algea but better to find out sooner than later. Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom