Halymenia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

got bait?

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I identified this algae in my tank from Fishfreeks post on hitchikers, awesome thread. Discription says this has a toxin. I do not have and herbivorious fish (only clean up crew), will this algae release toxins anyways or does it need to be anoyed, in order for it to release its toxin?

FWIW, as my opinion only, that in the picture looks more like Gigartina than Halymenia. I always though Halymenia had broader flat leaves. *shrugs* FWIW gigartina (after a quick google search) is edible and harvestd as food by humans.

R

Looks great. It would be better if it had picked a slightly better spot to grow...maybe you can move it.

This picture is from the Hitchiker site from fishreek. Mine is right in front and looks great. just wondering if it emits toxins if undesturbed?

Yeah I figured that out, but I am curious if it is a good ID. I am wrong often and probably am here, but I suggest searching other avenues as well for ID. If it is was I think it is, it should not release toxins at all. Heck you could eat it! Though i don't recomment it :D .
I love colored macros. Any chance of a pic of yours?

R-

Oooo puuuuurty! That looks more like haly than the other pic! I like it alot. I would think if you ran carbon fairly regularly it should be just fine. If you are worried about toxins, when it comes time to trim it up just do it outside the tank. I WANT SOME!

R-

seems to be growing pretty quickly. I can send you some once I'm sure there is a perminant population. :wink:
I wonder if I can just cut some off in the middle? But I also wonder if the bag wouldn't get too polluted if I just send clippings and if they'll take root. I'll keep ya posted.

I would LOVE some
Send me a PM with your address and I will send you a nice specimen in the next few weeks or so. This algae has an encrusting root structure, so I will just break off the piece of LR it resides on. Some of the blades are about 6" or so, perrty Red.
I wonder if this needs to go next day or is 2nd day OK?

Back
Top Bottom