HELP.. I'm being over run ! Pics... CYNO! or is it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

XXFirefighter

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well no idea what wrong, I'm feeding everyother day with flakes now, ran outta blender mush... NOTHING has changed in my tank... Changed the bulbs 2-3 weeks ago both of em....

Any ideas?
red1.jpg

red2.jpg

red3.jpg

RMPD109 said:
definately cyano. I sucked a bunch out then treated with chemi clean. No more problems. Good luck
How long ago?
Thought Chemi CLean was a band-aid type treatment?
What did you differently?

I added a coral via internet purchase. It slimed 75% and caused my Numbers to go crazy. The coral is good now and the parameters are back to normal.

Do you have good current in your tank? I`ve heard that this helps once you have it out of there. Keep it from coming back. Maybe that area of your tank is a dead spot as far as good circulation. I`ve just upgraded from a 55 to a 125 this weekend. Had my 55 for 7 years. Always had good water movement and never had cyno. Not saying this is only cause but I think it could be one. God Bless

melosu58 said:
Do you have good current in your tank? I`ve heard that this helps once you have it out of there. Keep it from coming back. Maybe that area of your tank is a dead spot as far as good circulation. I`ve just upgraded from a 55 to a 125 this weekend. Had my 55 for 7 years. Always had good water movement and never had cyno. Not saying this is only cause but I think it could be one. God Bless

Thanks for the input...
I have 2 maxijet 1200's and tank is a year old and now this is happening...
I also have a Emporer 300 HOB filter and a Aqua C Remore with another majijet 1200 in that... Movement is god, the cyno sways in the current....
No other idea...
Gonna try more water changes...
Then in a week a major 30 gallon change or so see if that does anything...

What type of Carbon are you running? I have heard that cheap brands can leak phosphates into the water. I had a bad case of Red Slime from having high phosphates of around .4 to .8 ppm. I think they where caused from cheap carbon or the die off from the 100 lb of LR I added. I used POWAphos to remove PO4 then when the red slime started to die off I used Chemi-Clean to kill it and clear up the water and Sub. and everything has been fine since. I run ROWAphos now 24-7 now.

Thought Chemi CLean was a band-aid type treatment
It is, but it does a great job of removing exsisiting cyno from the tank. If the underlying problem is not identified and corrected, it will just keep comeing back.
tested for PO4? Running a PO4 spnge is a good idea, along with water changes. Just remember to rinse the PhosGuard or similar product in RO/DI before adding it to the tank instead of tap water. It will just absorb the PO4 from the tap water and decrease the efficency and life of the sponge. rememenr to change it often. Water changes, wter changes, water changes...what fun. Sometimes this hobby sucks.

Roger that I only used the Chem-Clean after identifing the cause, I guess I should have stated that.

I also read that your phospates should be keep under .015 ppm in a SW tank any higher and I have read that u are asking for unwanted alage growth given the right conditions.

I am not using carbon now, I switched to SeaGel a few months ago...
Should I change back to Carbon?
I figured the SeaGel would work better then Carbon...
Since it says :
Sea Gel™ removes organics, toxic metals, phosphates, silicates and color impurities from fresh and salt water. It will not leach phosphates or remove trace elements from water. The bead-shaped media provides optimum flow characteristics.

Back
Top Bottom