HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! LITTLE WHITE BUGS HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I have a 75 gallon fish only set up with no live rock and out of knowhere this morning when I turned on the lights there were hundreds of little white bugs crawling on the inside of the glass. But they seem to disipear the longer that the lights are on. Does anyone know what these are? Can these be harmful to my fish. I have 3 damsels that are cycling my tank and they seem to be doing fine. But will they be affected by these bugs? Is there any way to get rid of them? I don't know what to do! PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What is your substrate?

Those 'bugs' are good. They are mostly nocternal in that its safer for them to come out at night vs during the day.

If you use a flash light on your tank a few hours after the lights go you might see some other life you had not realized you have.

I believe fish freek is correct with LS some people call them micro shrimp. They will scurry around when the lights are out and are a great food source for certain fish. :D

I have crushed coral gravel as a substrate. I am new to saltwater, thank god they are not bad! I thought they were parasites. What do the bugs do?

the bugs are probably detrivoures that might eat algae or organic wastes. if your planning on a reef tank these bugs might be exactly the type of thing that you want in your refugium.

good luck with your tank

They will just scavage around for micro pieces of food not any harm to the health of the tank and are very beneficial. Once the lights come on they should pretty much disappear and be dormant until night. Once you get some fish in there they will feed on them (most fish will). JME

don't feel bad, i too am new to this, and i almost had a heart attack when i noticed them. i thought to myself,"THIS CAN NOT BE GOOD!" so i rushed to my lfs with one i had captured, praying they'd have some potion to kill them. i really felt silly when they told me all i had was free fish food, and a sign of a healthy tank. GOOD LUCK!

Thank you all for your advice. But how do these bugs get into the tank. I have no live rock or live sand yet.

Back
Top Bottom