Help me identify please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heathers.why

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone, I am very new to saltwater aquariums. I have a 90 gallon tank. My boyfriend bought me three new pieces of live rock yesterday. One has a red an orange speckle that glows like hot lava when the blue light is on. You can't get it on a picture. Anyone know why? Also one has this pink and white hard bubble thing on it see photo. It had a few all white ones much smaller. Does anyone know what it is? Thanks in advance and I'm very excited to find this app

Last edited:
Pics I think

Sorry here it is...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 190
Looks like sponge of some sort. Depends on how long your tank has been up and running if its going to survive.

Thanks so much! Is there something i should be doing to help it survive? how will i know if it dies? My tank has only been up and running 9 weeks. I am very new but very excited to explore and learn. It has been an awesome learning experience so far.

Depends on how hardy it is. Cross your fingers and do a lot of water changes and read lots.

Just an update. Had some illness possibly in my tank and had to quarantine the fish however my pink sponge and also a beautiful white sponge have grown and thrived so far :) I guess good water quality (I had it tested professionally and it is spot on the money) and crossed fingers has done wonders :)

What test kit did they use on your water to assure you it was perfect? Who was the professional? Someone who worked at a tropical fish store?
IME, fish that succumb to disease are stressed by something beforehand.
Sponges live through days of shipping out of water and many other things and are no indication of good water quality.

I have my own test kits but once a week I take it down to a marine facility that services our aquariums here at our Zoo and a few other large facilities. They test the water with several individualize tests through a computer and then give a print out of the results. I was amazed to
Learn that they even do surgery on some fish ( as some expensive fish require it).
I have no had much luck or good information from my local aquariums stores. I have had better advice and direction on here. I can't ask or I inquire to much of the marine habitat as they do have consults and they can even consult in the home however it starts at $200.00 and hour which is a bit pricey for me. The water testing is only $25.00 though and tests for everything and more so I do it until I learn more and can trust that I know enough when home testing to be self sufficient.

Please understand I don't know what all this stuff is yet but here are some printout stuff.
Salinity
PH
Ammonia
Nitrites
Nitrates
Alkalinity
Calcium
Magnesium
TDS
Phosphates
Iodine
Copper
Iron
Silica
Boron
Strontium
Free Rad

Is there stuff I am missing or should be testing for and I'm not?

That's actually much more than necessary. I wouldn't even bother with some on that list. So, your fish died and during this, all of those tests were within normal levels? No ammonia or nitrite at all? How was the nitrate?

Everything was good except my foxface got stuck I'm the gill by my urchin :-(

Good, as in what? Zero? Ich can be avoided in a stress free environment, even if it's present. I'm trying to figure out the stressor that we are missing. How about stray voltage? When you put your hand in the tank with bare feet, do you ever get a small shock?

Ammonia was 0

Nitrites 0

Nitrates went up to 0.18 when foxface died

They said the foxface dying slowly on the tank created stress.

I have never gotten a shock in the water before

Hey. I've read a few of your posts. By no means am I an expert but you said you've had your tank up for 9 weeks? You have added 12 fish in that time? In another post of yours you said 2 clowns, 2 tangs, a lawnmower, banner fish, purple ora, the foxface, 2 scooter blennys, and 2 red blennys. Seams like you are moving way to fast. As everyone on here will tell you nothing good comes without patience. You may have added way to much to your bioload too fast.

Also you recently added new live rock...how many lbs? That may have caused a new mini cycle.

Scooter blennys are very picky eaters, in the dragonet family. They do better in an established tank. If your going to try to keep them you need to get your pod population up. Are the 2 red blennys also scooter? 4 dragonets in your tank may not be a good idea.

Anyway that's cool you can get your water tested at the zoo! What zoo do you go to? Do they all do testing? Could you post a pic of the print out the zoo gave you?

Last thing...tell us more about your tank. You said 2 filter in another thread...what type and size? Do you have a skimmer? Had you added another powerhead (because you said you had 1)? Are you using RODI water? Might as well include your lights too since you want coral and nems. :)

I don't know Even the temperature has remained stable. Led Lights are on a timer so that's the same. My anenome medusa looks pretty miserable this morning. I was thinking it's because we took the fish out last. Night. My anenome Rapunzel looks great Though
I don't know what to do for medusa. I am leaving her alone.

Attachments

• image-175566491.jpg
    image-175566491.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 94
  • image-1668856713.jpg
    image-1668856713.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 93
Back
Top Bottom