Help! Something is living on my leather coral!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chandlero

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I was moving some things around in my tank and I turned my leather coral around to find something growing on its side. It sort of looks kind of like a shell or something but it is kind of clear and growing in the side of my coral. It's probably a about a half an inch high and the goes back into the coral. I just saw it open up and it's still alive. Can some help me Id it and tell me if it is harmful to my coral???ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1437709754.078893.jpg

sounds like a gall crab they will burrow and burrow eating coral from the inside till it kills the coral and moves on to the next , they lay eggs as they burrow these eggs will hatch with in a week so catching this before they hatch is urgent , your best bet would be to remove the coral it's in and give it a good dip till crab backs out the dip should kill off the eggs too , just hope none of these eggs hatched and moved on to another coral
these crabs look almost like a tick see pict below
galkrabben_2.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1438300997.924111.jpg
It looks different than the crabs. It kind of looks like a little scallop or something

I can't really tell, but I had one very much like that, whitish with pink striations. I'll look around and see if I can't find the name, I have it somewhere. It's safe, assuming it's what mine was.

I didnt feed mine, it died from being smothered in GHA, I think I tore its abductor muscle pulling the algae off.

Back
Top Bottom