help to ident these 2 things??? 2 pics ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vertex

Aquarium Advice Activist
The first one, is the green plant kinda thing, shaped like a frag of some sort but its soft and has tiny fuzy tentacles on all its tips. Its up to about 5 inches long now. What is this, and is it good or bad in a reef tank?

IMG_4485.jpg

The second one, these red clumps (I assume some kind of algae) is growing in clumps in 5 or 6 spots in my tank. What is this, and is it good or bad in a reef tank?

IMG_4487.jpg

Thanks

Don't know but it looks cool and isn't any kind of pest I've ever seen. Maybe "score"! Could have gotten some cool free stuff.

ya, I agree. It really looks neat. Adds more detail in the tank. I just would like to know what it is? I assume the red clumps are an algae as they grow on the substrate in a few spots as well. They seem to release a LOT of bubbles!

Thanks though... Anyone else know what these are?

first pic is of some type of Caulerpa, fauchea sp. I believe. I have no idea of the second one, any chance on more of a close up shot, maybe from the top?

the green topped things in the second pic are a type of macro called fuzzy-tip algea, neomeris sp. I still have no idea what the other stuff is.

sweet, thanks lando. I'll post another pic if I can of the other clumps of the same stuff. I'll look up those types those to try to find out. Obviously if just macro algae, it is harmless then right? I don't have a fuge so I will leave it in the tank then...

thanks for your help...

here is another close up then of that first green one.

IMG_4534.jpg

And here are some more shots of the red algae. The one from the top I couldn't get very clear...
IMG_4514.jpg

IMG_4509.jpg

IMG_4513.jpg

the pics ar better but I am still unsure about the second pic. Most likely some type of macro.

ya no problem... thanks for your suggestions on these. Either way, they look pretty cool so I'll keep em until they become a problem.

Later!!

Real nice stuff. Lucky you. I agree that the green stuff is some sort of caulerpa. My only comment on the red stuff is that it is likely that an emerald crab would eat that stuff (what ever it is). I say that because my Emeralds really prefer a red macro algae that I have that looks almost (not quite) like that. Keep that in mind if it propagates too much.

Back
Top Bottom