Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Identification
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-27-2012, 10:08 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
Help with id

Hey all, sorry but I don't have pics so I have to describe what I found. First off I have a torch coral that has a thin layer of its skeleton that appears to be flaking off, while looking closer I realized it actually moves which is when I noticed what appears to be a mantle. I suspect it is a type of clam and it is perfectly fitted/matched to the coral skeleton. Has anyone ever heard of or seen a clam like this? The second critter appears to be shrimp/lobster, no they are not amphipods or isopods. They are about 1/8 of inch long or smaller and like I said look like little shrimp/lobsters. They have a tail just like a shrimp/lobster and are transparent/white. They move fast and stay in or close to cover. I can't get a pic as they move so fast. Any help or suggestions are welcome and encouraged.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:22 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm guessing that shrimp looking this is a copepod. I have some that get to be about 1/8 inch long or so. As for the clam looking thing idk. I had a live rock many years ago that after quite a few months in my tank suddenly started opening and closing. Turned out there was some sort if bivalve/mollusk inside that was the rock itself. It was about 4 inches wide and 3 inches tall and it made the rock split in the middle and opened and closed and you could see the insides looked just like a scallop when it would stay open.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:33 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

It could be the mollusk you mentioned. I don't think the critters are Copepods though. I have pods in the tank and these are very different, like I say they look exactly like a shrimp or lobster. I do have shrimp (1-cleaner, 1-peppermint) and its unlikely they bred lol. It's possible these things are a type of pod but they look different from copepod, amphipod, and isopod.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:05 AM   #4
Fish R friends, not food!

Check out the hitch hiker link in my signature and see if you recognise anything.
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:45 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithhjs
I'm guessing that shrimp looking this is a copepod. I have some that get to be about 1/8 inch long or so. As for the clam looking thing idk. I had a live rock many years ago that after quite a few months in my tank suddenly started opening and closing. Turned out there was some sort if bivalve/mollusk inside that was the rock itself. It was about 4 inches wide and 3 inches tall and it made the rock split in the middle and opened and closed and you could see the insides looked just like a scallop when it would stay open.
After another guy mentioned Copepods I looked into it, I am accustomed to seeing them as tiny white dots on my glass but I think that's what they are. Sorry to doubt you Keith.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:28 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

No worries, I didn't feel I was even doubted, lol. There are so many critters in a reef some times it's a guessing game
Old 07-29-2012, 02:36 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thought I'd post a couple pics of this pod I saw in my fuge filter pad tonight. It's about 1/4 inch or so.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2373064309.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	109496   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1860178693.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	109497  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2337459057.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	109498  

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com