Help with id

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kdpuffer

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey all, sorry but I don't have pics so I have to describe what I found. First off I have a torch coral that has a thin layer of its skeleton that appears to be flaking off, while looking closer I realized it actually moves which is when I noticed what appears to be a mantle. I suspect it is a type of clam and it is perfectly fitted/matched to the coral skeleton. Has anyone ever heard of or seen a clam like this? The second critter appears to be shrimp/lobster, no they are not amphipods or isopods. They are about 1/8 of inch long or smaller and like I said look like little shrimp/lobsters. They have a tail just like a shrimp/lobster and are transparent/white. They move fast and stay in or close to cover. I can't get a pic as they move so fast. Any help or suggestions are welcome and encouraged.

I'm guessing that shrimp looking this is a copepod. I have some that get to be about 1/8 inch long or so. As for the clam looking thing idk. I had a live rock many years ago that after quite a few months in my tank suddenly started opening and closing. Turned out there was some sort if bivalve/mollusk inside that was the rock itself. It was about 4 inches wide and 3 inches tall and it made the rock split in the middle and opened and closed and you could see the insides looked just like a scallop when it would stay open.

It could be the mollusk you mentioned. I don't think the critters are Copepods though. I have pods in the tank and these are very different, like I say they look exactly like a shrimp or lobster. I do have shrimp (1-cleaner, 1-peppermint) and its unlikely they bred lol. It's possible these things are a type of pod but they look different from copepod, amphipod, and isopod.

Keithhjs said:
I'm guessing that shrimp looking this is a copepod. I have some that get to be about 1/8 inch long or so. As for the clam looking thing idk. I had a live rock many years ago that after quite a few months in my tank suddenly started opening and closing. Turned out there was some sort if bivalve/mollusk inside that was the rock itself. It was about 4 inches wide and 3 inches tall and it made the rock split in the middle and opened and closed and you could see the insides looked just like a scallop when it would stay open.

After another guy mentioned Copepods I looked into it, I am accustomed to seeing them as tiny white dots on my glass but I think that's what they are. Sorry to doubt you Keith.

No worries, I didn't feel I was even doubted, lol. There are so many critters in a reef some times it's a guessing game :)

Thought I'd post a couple pics of this pod I saw in my fuge filter pad tonight. It's about 1/4 inch or so.

Attachments

• image-2373064309.jpg
    image-2373064309.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 87
  • image-1860178693.jpg
    image-1860178693.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 82
  • image-2337459057.jpg
    image-2337459057.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 81
Back
Top Bottom