Hey Everyone I found A Crab!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jessica-lee

Aquarium Advice Regular
Was looking through my sump today and found a cute little crab running around on a peice of liverock!!

He is orangish, brownish, and a bit of green coloured. He is smooth not hairy his legs are smooth aswell and are banded in white and orangy brown bands.
He is small 2 cm full legs and body.

He has 2 claws. In which are funny to me; is why I have to post this. Because one is big (id say for mating for defense) and the other small (for picking off liverock). But it stumps me on who he is. They have a red colour on them aswell.

I have some questions, is he reef safe, and what does he eat? How big will he grow, and what saltwater system setup would best suit him?

I have photos I will post in a few minutes. Please get back to me as he is currently in a container with a little peice of liverock and water for the sytem he was in.

But most off all I need to know if he is best to be rid of rather then kept.

Thanks Jessica-lee

It sounds a little like a young fiddler crab when you post the picture i can tell you with a bit more assureance.

Here he is

Is he a fiddler because that was my theory :)

Attachments

• 20121214_141517-1.jpg
    20121214_141517-1.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 138
  • 20121214_141648-1.jpg
    20121214_141648-1.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 136
  • 20121214_141706-1.jpg
    20121214_141706-1.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 145
  • 20121214_141744-1.jpg
    20121214_141744-1.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 131
Nope i think hes a type of xanthiad (i dont know how to spell it) crab and there not reef safe so he should probably go

I had the exact same crab and could never get a positive ID on it. Unfortunately he made a hole his home which a curious/hungry nassarius snail wedged himself in and locked the crab in ending with his and the snails demise. Shells still there to this day lol.

Issa crab. Is not reef safe. Even "reef safe crabs" aren't really reef safe. They're "reefian roulette".
That said, if its in your sump, then it's probably not a big deal. Keep him! Btw, if you look at the underside of the crab, you may be able to determine gender.

Also since alot of people seem to get these and dont get postive IDs you should look at its claws if there sharp looking then its probably bad and if there rounder looking then theres a chance there not bad.

Nope i think hes a type of xanthiad (i dont know how to spell it) crab and there not reef safe so he should probably go

Which again was other theory what was scared of which is another reason why I posted

And about the claws, I have tosted alot of crabs on that exact assumption, but this one I find interesting.

I had the exact same crab and could never get a positive ID on it. Unfortunately he made a hole his home which a curious/hungry nassarius snail wedged himself in and locked the crab in ending with his and the snails demise. Shells still there to this day lol.

Lol Thats kinda funny, no chance he got out?

Issa crab. Is not reef safe. Even "reef safe crabs" aren't really reef safe. They're "reefian roulette".
That said, if its in your sump, then it's probably not a big deal. Keep him! Btw, if you look at the underside of the crab, you may be able to determine gender.

Its forsure a Issa Crab, what do they eat? Coral or inverts? or fish? Is he a cleaner? He is okay in a sump. He is cute. What does he do, tell me more :) !! And how exaclty would I determine the gender?

There's like a flap on the underside, towards the rear. If its sort of pointed it's a male, if it's more rounded it's a female.

There's like a flap on the underside, towards the rear. If its sort of pointed it's a male, if it's more rounded it's a female.

Lol thats cool. But what does he eat? Whats his scientific name so I can do more research. What bad would bedo in a reef? Or what would be best for him? Sump is an option or refuge.

Haha. Issa Crab. I'm assuming that's supposed to say, "It's a crab." Jessica-lee, it might be a crab in the chlorodiella genus. Try looking that up. I see it says you are from Kingston. Do you go to Don for your supplies?

Haha. Issa Crab. I'm assuming that's supposed to say, "It's a crab." Jessica-lee, it might be a crab in the chlorodiella genus. Try looking that up. I see it says you are from Kingston. Do you go to Don for your supplies?

Lol Yes I live in Kingston, been to Dons yes, why do you ask?
Im just not coming up with enough answers with the research is did on the Chlorodiella species. But I know forsure his left claw is very small and his right claw is huge. he has some colour to him, but not hair that i can see, there may be a few on his legs.

Lol thats cool. But what does he eat? Whats his scientific name so I can do more research. What bad would bedo in a reef? Or what would be best for him? Sump is an option or refuge.

Wouldn't have a clue on that, sorry.

Lol Yes I live in Kingston, been to Dons yes, why do you ask?

I was just surprised to find someone here from Kingston. Since Don is the only respectable lfs in the area, i figured you would have visited him at some point.

I was just surprised to find someone here from Kingston. Since Don is the only respectable lfs in the area, i figured you would have visited him at some point.

Well I wouldnt say that, as my main saltwater/ fish guy around here would be Jim of Forty Fathoms. Its a half hour drive out of kingston, but id rather go to him.

I have been to Jims. I find he has a good amount reefing hardware, but doesn't keep his tanks parameter levels where they need to be for me. He is more of a softie or lps coral guy. Sps corals brown out and die in his tanks. Where Don (Crazy 4 coral) sells less hardware and focuses more on healthy tank parameters for lps and sps corals. Since i'm a sps guy myself, he has had the majority of my business. Great to see someone from the area on here.

R.I.P never forget

Back
Top Bottom