Hi! Can someone tell me what my two corals are?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

funnyfishies

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Got them with the tank and if anyone knows what they are I would really like to know! Also, do they look healthy to you? Thanks so much!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1393565751890.jpg
    1393565751890.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 130
  • 1393565775598.jpg
    1393565775598.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 146
  • 1393565791725.jpg
    1393565791725.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 128
  • 1393565803785.jpg
    1393565803785.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 128
The first looks like a torch the second is a hammer. They both are in really bad shape, what lighting are you using and what are your params

The two upper pictures appear to be branching torch corals and the bottom two photos are hammers if I'm not mistaken. Both LPS corals and if they're opening up, it is usually a good sign that they are happy.

D

Hm okay. At least now I know what they are so I can hopefully improve their condition. I'm not sure what they are supposed to look like but I believe they have actually improved since I took over the tank from a friend. I have a fluval full spectrum 25w LED and as far as parameters I am pretty new to this so you'll have to specify. Unfortunately the previous owner neglected to siphon the sand so the phosphate and nitrate levels are remaining high. I am hoping if I continue to siphon out all the detritus and such, in addition to frequent water changes I can correct the problem. This is in a 28gal.

BigRed,

For future knowledge for myself, what tells you those corals are in bad shape? I thought the torch looked bleached out but wasn't sure if there were varieties with translucent color schemes.

You definitely need some more light for those corals. What do you have in the tank in regards to water flow?

BigRed,

For future knowledge for myself, what tells you those corals are in bad shape? I thought the torch looked bleached out but wasn't sure if there were varieties with translucent color schemes.

I've never seen a translucent torch, or any coral for that matter, if you see something that looks like that it's in trouble. Op so let me see if I got a grasp on your situation, you got a used setup and just transported and refilled right? If so did you keep the rock in water for the move? I would strongly suggest you just siphon out your old sand and replace with new sand that has been thourghly rinsed in ro water( a funnel and a PVC pipe will allow you to easily and cleanly do this with water in the tank). I'm afraid the torch may not pull through, the hammer looks a little better but still pretty rough
Edit: polyp extension is not always the best indicator for coral health, even dying corals will extend there polyps in most cases. And I agree with DRock you need a more powerful light for that tank

Yeah you pretty much nailed it bigredsreefs10. Some of the live rock was in water but a few pieces were out for approx 30 min. Changing all the sand sounds a little tricky but I'm willing to do what needs to be done to get things stable. The clear torch heads have started to get some maroonish color around the edges in the last few days. Both corals have started to extend much further than before which I interpret as a step in the right direction

Ok. I intend on getting more coral once things are on the up and up so I guess more light is a necessity. As far as water movement I have an eheim pro 2 which generates a substantial current so I have it positioned down and toward the wall. I also have a penguin 100 hanging filter that moves the water on top pretty well

Your tank might go through a soft cycle then with some of the rock drying out. Check for any ammonia and do wc's if it gets above .25ppm. You can use these changes to siphon out the sand to if you decide to (again I highly recommend this, sand is probably the cheapest part of the reef tank so why let some one else's dirty sand ruin your new tank when it can be replaced for $30-$40, JMO though). While a brown is definetly better than clear, it still shows that the corals aren't getting enough light. My advice for saving these to is to leave them in the places they are in and keep your water params in check. Euphyilla corals do not like to be touched and moved and can adapt to a wide range of flows, so let them recover and maybe look into upgrading your light. The taotronics dimmable LEDs on eBay are priced well and should let you keep anything you want
Edit: general rule of thumb, coral browning= not enough light, coral bleaching = too much light

That definitely makes sense and would explain what's been going on with the tank. Most all of the sand still needs cleaning so I might as well just change it out. Bummer that light is insufficient, it's a quality unit (which is supposedly designed for reef life) and fits the tank nicely. Perhaps I can supplement with an additional light instead of swapping? Thanks again for the advice, you probably just saved my tank!

Ah those are sweet! Whelp.. it appears I have some money to spend :p

Oh and if it makes any difference my current light is designed to mount super close to the water's surface, it's currently about 1 inch away. That may explain the low wattage. The largest model they make 48-57" is still only 46W

Looks like a bleached hammer and maybe a normal hammer hopefully someone will chime in but that bleached on doesn't look healthy

I think the first coral is a branching frogspawn 2 nod is definitly a hammer coral

Thanks! I was thinking it might have been a frogspawn. Didn't quite look like any of the torch coral I'd seen.

Does it have multiple tips per polyp? Frogies have multiple torches have one per polyp
image.jpg

The one with purple tips is a frog. See how there are multiple tips on each tentacle?

Back
Top Bottom