Hi Folks new to forum and an ID request

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NewtoReef

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Any idea what this is? I have looked at a lot of pic's with no luck.
At first I thought it was just brown algae but it appears to have some
structure with it.
Thanks

Attachments

• DSC01507.jpg
    DSC01507.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 70
A bigger picture would be good.. but it looks like a sponge from here.

The picture is still too hard to make out, but if you take your finger and push on the thing and it feels spongy, then its likely a sponge.

Matt

They are not spongy at all they feel like a small plastic disk.
A bit slippery , brown , thin layer, circular structure.
I hate not knowing whats in my tank. I have these in a few spots starting to
get concerned about them.

Get ready for a long hate relationship with your tank then. There are probably all kinds of things in there that you have no idea are there, may never. Some will come and go, some will pop out at certain times. Buckle up homeboy.. This rides just gettin started

Get ready for a long hate relationship with your tank then. There are probably all kinds of things in there that you have no idea are there, may never. Some will come and go, some will pop out at certain times. Buckle up homeboy.. This rides just gettin started

:ROFLMAO:

Yeap, if you are lucky you will find alot of things you wont be able to ID. Thats what makes it all worth the trouble!

No idea what you have if not spongy. It may be some form of algae that utilizes calcium, hence the hardness of it. Could form a calcium structure to slime over on...Who knows? Just make sure its not a quick grower that spreads rapidly.

Matt

lobophora variegata - get it quick while it is young, I have seen it bloom and take over tanks before you know it. not much other than rock boring urchins and larger herbivorous fish are interested in it, and even then it is hit or miss. Some luck with an emerald maybe, but manual removal is far more effective.

edit - I usually misspell Latin names, but you can usually get the right one through searching.

Oh man thanks so much for finding this.
I was going to just let it sit awhile and see what it developed into.
How did you find it ? I spent hours looking.
Thanks again, and again.

oh me, I am a complete nerd. :) Good luck with the fight, a dental pick will be your best friend.

Seems that a couple people out there find this algae highly desireable. It is a calcium based algae and tends to be quite aesthetic. I would wait and see how quickly it plans to spread before removing it.

Matt

It looks calcified but it isn't. Odd I know, but it isn't. Padina spp. are the only genus of brown macroalgae to contain calcium. Padina is sought after, but not usually Lobophora. To each their own though for sure, you probably could find someone who would want it.

Did you do anything to get rid of it , or did it just go away?
and Thanks

Back
Top Bottom