Hitch Hiker Anemone Good or Bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keysfishfinder

Aquarium Advice Regular
I got a really cool piece of Rock (lots of holes) yesterday and I found these 2 cool anemone's. Hopefully they are not evil :new-alien:.

Thanks for looking and happy holidays

Attachments

• IMG_4416.jpg
    IMG_4416.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_4415.jpg
    IMG_4415.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 99
Not sure about the identity of the sea anemone - however, I just wondered whether the hydroids to the left of the anemone in the second photo are cause for concern.

Tony

Yeah, it looks like a macro rather than hydroids.

watching it closely, the hermits are not touching the little tree looking things. I will continue to monitor the anemone. Will update you when I return on Saturday.

Thanks again for all the effort

These things are very neat, they shrivel up and look dead then a short time later they are open and moving tentacles in the current.

I was feeding the fish some shirmp and one piece got near the anemone. Next thing I know the anemone swung its tentacles over and grabbed the shrimp piece and stuffed it in its mouth. I have since feed them tiny shrimp pieces and they seem to be very happy.

When you say "tree looking things" do you mean the things I thought were hydroids and others thought were algae? If so, from your description they are almost certainly hydroids. Check out the following website for comparison (e.g., Thecocaulus): Réserve Naturelle Marine de Cerbère-Banyuls

I don't know much about hydroids, but I do know that at least some of them can be nasty. (I've been stung by my fair share while collecting in the Indo-Pacific.)

Tony

I have had aiptasia that looked very similar to that. Rock anemones usually have short tentacles. I would guess it is aiptasia.

majano anemone. I had some and they multiply rapidly...

thanks everyone, Both of the anemones are gone. Was checking on the fish and realized they were missing. Scoured the entire tank over the last few days and filters, no where to be found. Very strange.

Do you have any coral banded shrimp in the tank. They are known fish eaters.

I did find a shrimp in the tank but cannot identify, and he is camera shy. Best pic I got is this.

Attachments

• PC230017.jpg
    PC230017.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 43
  • PC230036.jpg
    PC230036.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 55
Looks like some kind of lobster to me. Lobsters are generally opportunistic feeders and will eat anything they can get to get their claws around easily. Unless you really like it i would try to get it out of your tank to be on the safe side. May get bigger and start taking a snap at smaller bottom dwelling fish and inverts.

I am guessing I got the guy off a piece of live rock from the east coast of Florida, in shallow water. If that helps. It does not seem to have antenna like our normal lobster, plus the claws are not normal.

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!!!

Back
Top Bottom