Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Identification

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-07-2004, 05:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hitcher Crab with one little Claw and one BIG Claw. NEW(PIC)

Every so often I see this crab that hitched on my LR.
I could never get a good look at him until last night.

It was too dark to get a pick.
He's at least the size of quarter.
A bit hairy, and one claw was much bigger than the other.
Way bigger.

Anyone know what type of Crab this is.

His pinchers were sharp and pointy. Not exactly
Reef safe I assume, He hasnt touched any of
my corals though.

I am thinking with the big claw this is my snapping
culprit.

Since he hasnt touched any Corals in over 2 months
do you think he is ok?

So far so good. or maybe he is reef safe, Doubt it though.

Thanks

Lighting: 48'' Coralife HQI aqualight pro | 2 150 watt MH | 2 96 watt true actinic fluorescents | 3 1 watt blue-moon-glow LEDs

Fish&Inverts: 3-BlueGreen Chromis | Shrimp Goby | Purple Firefish | 6 Line-Wrasse | LawnMower Blenny | Royal Gramma | Coral Beauty | Maxima Clam | 16 Assort. -Snails | LR Hitchers: Crabs, Urchins, Brittle Stars, Feather Dusters, and more

Corals: Assorted Mushrooms | Green Button Polyps | Toadstool Leather | Pulsing Xenia | Clove Polyps | Star Polyps | FrogSpawn | Branching Hammer | Candy Cane | Zoos | Ricordea | Open Brain | Bubble |
--------------------------------------------------------
24Gallon JBJ Nano Cube | LR 25lbs Marshall Creek/Tonga/Fiji | 2 Flase Percula Clowns | Shrooms | Xenia | Green Button Polyps | Snails | Hermits
EL Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 06:30 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The one large claw and one smaller is the calling card of the Pistol shrimp, who is known for making those snapping/popping noises.

But...you wouldn't generally mistake a shrimp for a crab. Pistol shimp are very uncrab-like.

So....if it is a crab I have no idea what it might be. Most people like to remove crabs from their tanks, but I have many, many of them and they don't seem to cause a lot of trouble. They seem to strip the coraline off the rocks in places, but it grows back soon enough. In fact, I'm starting to think that the coraline actually grows back faster on the areas where the crabs have stripped it.

Old 11-07-2004, 07:01 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yup it's a Crab for sure, I've seen Pistols and the Claws are just like that.
One big and one Small.

I'll try to get a pic but it's gonna be difficult.

Lighting: 48'' Coralife HQI aqualight pro | 2 150 watt MH | 2 96 watt true actinic fluorescents | 3 1 watt blue-moon-glow LEDs

Fish&Inverts: 3-BlueGreen Chromis | Shrimp Goby | Purple Firefish | 6 Line-Wrasse | LawnMower Blenny | Royal Gramma | Coral Beauty | Maxima Clam | 16 Assort. -Snails | LR Hitchers: Crabs, Urchins, Brittle Stars, Feather Dusters, and more

Corals: Assorted Mushrooms | Green Button Polyps | Toadstool Leather | Pulsing Xenia | Clove Polyps | Star Polyps | FrogSpawn | Branching Hammer | Candy Cane | Zoos | Ricordea | Open Brain | Bubble |
24Gallon JBJ Nano Cube | LR 25lbs Marshall Creek/Tonga/Fiji | 2 Flase Percula Clowns | Shrooms | Xenia | Green Button Polyps | Snails | Hermits
Old 11-07-2004, 08:32 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Perhaps the smaller claw is due to a lost limb growing back. Maybe it takes a few molts for it to grow to normal size? Just a thought.
Old 11-08-2004, 10:24 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

The advice I got from Mike at liverocks.com was if the claws have black tips they are a stone crab=bad crab. If they do not have blacked-tiped claws they are, most likely, reef safe. When in doubt get it out.
Old 11-08-2004, 07:15 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks Lando,

I dont remember the color of the claw tips.

I'll look for him tonight. I'll feed the tank to get his interest.

Old 11-08-2004, 08:00 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've got a few of the black tip claw type you mention....stone crabs...what damage do they do? Their noctural, so I haven't been able to see them in action...
Old 11-08-2004, 08:39 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
what damage do they do

Snails, hermits, anything slow will become a midnight snack. My son had one and it got 4 or 5 of his snails in just about a week. 8O

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 08:59 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

i have 1 and he was ok for about 5 monthes untill i seen him try to kill a bumble bee snail and then killed a zebra hermit
now he and his rock are in another tank with just crabs in it

not shure how to post a pic so i wont
Old 11-08-2004, 11:33 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

ok guys I got a Pic. not the best cause he is way in the back of the tank but good enough to see the claws. and as you can see they are black tipped. so I guess he is a bad guy.

Funny thing is I have close to 20 snails, a few small hermits, and a bunch of corals and for months I have had no problems. Guess I have been lucky.
Looks like this guy gotta go.

When I snapped these pics my Goby was right next to the crab and the crab just flexed his claws out and the Goby just looked at him.

Here are the pics

So it looks like the recommendation is to yank this fella

Tags
claw, crab, pic

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com