Hitchhiker crab ID-- Xanthid ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tagging along, I had a ton of those in my rocks but got rid of them. I watched them for about a month and then decided I didnt trust them.

Why are they bad? I had these in my Liverocks.com order. I removed some but some made it in the tank.

I have a couple of crabs that are white furry little suckers.

hmm, Might have to do some crab hunting.

I tried the glass trick but I only got one hermit. I guess the sinking pellets were not enticing enough. Any good crab catching tricks?

I had a big one that I was able to corner but most are smaller and too agile.

Hermits may or not be bad. They will go after snails for their shells. I have some scarlet and some blue leg as well as some micro hermits in my 125. The hitchhikers in the liverocks I believe are a predatory crab that will go after fish, given the chance. Not what I want in my tank.

I did not mean to say I was catching hermits. I tried to catch some hitchhiker crabs like pictured above with a glass tilted on edge with some food in the bottom. I only got one hermit though. I just released him back into the tank.

I had a crab I noticed over the weekend that was just like the ones above but he was huge. I posted a pic in a thread in this forumn. He had to have grown since I got my rock. I swear I could of cooked him and got some meat out of it! He is now residing in my spare/QT tank.

I heard this one good trick about using a bottle cap......Just doesnt work if you have crab pirates in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom