hitchhiker crab... should he stay or should he go

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

donf

Aquarium Advice Regular
He arrived today with my LR.com shipment.
does he go in my FOWLR tank.. or is he unwanted?
Thanks

Attachments

• crab_203.jpg
    crab_203.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 307
After I had one eat my fish I no longer like them or will give them any slack. They eat fish friends... and fish are friends, not food!

Hara said:
I like crabs, wonderful creatures for your sump.

My husband says that too. Do you ever find your sump snails dead from your crabs? I would hate to have to buy more sump snails because of a hungry crab.

I had one just like that in my 46 with 2 clowns and 2 pep's. never bothered anything, even ran when I tossed it some shrimp 8O . After quite a while I decided he would be ok in my 150. Well big mistake. My scotter blenny ended up MIA. I figured I did something wrong :oops: , however my son gave me one of those nice purple urchuins, the ones with long spines. Said he looked it up on liveaquara.com and it was about a 30 dollar item. Well within 30 min of placing it in my tank this stupid crab had broken off 25 to 30 of his spines :evil: , I tricked it into a glass with some shrimp and dumped it in my sump, 2 days later the urchin is dead. I guess it just couldn't recover.

My new rule is crab (unless porcilcine) is evil and I don't want them in my tank, I do have a few hermits left but not many, guess this crab was snacking on them as well.

In other words, get rid of it.

Take it to the LFS or place in the the sump. They didn't asked to be yanked out of the sea and I see no reason to brutalize it.
I found an emerald picking away at me CC star the other day. The LFS took him back with no problem.
Some months ago I had a hitchhiker crab take out my scooter as well. That sucker was getting huge. Finally caught him and took him to my LFS. I believe that one became Puffer food, I didn't ask. At least it was a semi natural demise if thats what happened.

Back
Top Bottom