Hitchhiker help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmoores74

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just got my live rock and sand yesterday and I have a number of things on the rock that I'm not to sure what they are.
Fist one:

Second one (sponge I think):

Third one:

Last one (hard to get a picture of it but they one and close and something pops out of it every once and a while):

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The first one is Xenia

The first one is Xenia

Cool thanks

Also while I was rearranging the rock a bright green lobster like guy came out of the rock. He was to fast for a picture but I think he's a mantis shrimp. How do I get rid of him? I would like to get an emerald crab and some hermits and some snails eventually and I've read that he will eat those.

Xenia, sponge probably, feather duster.
Get a tall glass and put some food in it. Whatever is in there will come out and get stuck in the tilted glass.

The last pic are barnacles.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Cool thanks

Also while I was rearranging the rock a bright green lobster like guy came out of the rock. He was to fast for a picture but I think he's a mantis shrimp. How do I get rid of him? I would like to get an emerald crab and some hermits and some snails eventually and I've read that he will eat those.

I could give it to me It gives me the excuse to set up a new tank

You could give it to me I meant

The second one could be a single sun coral head

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You could also give the mantis to me :) I love them lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you catch the mantis, you could sell him for some $$. Some mantises run for around $90.

I think the little green ones are like 20-30 bucks. It's the big ones like the zebra and peacock that get spendy

I do think he's pretty cool but I worry about when i put fish in the tank. Do they eat fish too or just the CUC. I was planning for a clownfish and a firefish or clown goby and then hermits, snails, and an emerald crab for the CUC. Would it kill any of these? Also saw a pretty large bristle worm last night any problems with that with what I want to put in the tank?

Also saw today something new on the rock I saw about 3 or so of them

A healthy fish won't be able to be caught by a crab or even a large bristle worm. If they were sick they could end up being a snack once they are beyond the point of no return. Most crabs and worms are opportunistic feeders and have very poor prey capture ability.

You have got some great free corals with that rock! Xenia, sun coral, feather duster and barnacles? You could pay a fair bit per coral let's hope they survive in the cycle

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

That last picture is an aptasia anemone. The bristle worm needs to be identified. Try to get a picture of it. Especially the head.

Has it been ruled out that that last pictures not just a really unhealthy zoanthid polyp because sometimes I get some that fall off the rock and re attach to some not well lit areas and they end up looking similar to that before dying

Has it been ruled out that that last pictures not just a really unhealthy zoanthid polyp because sometimes I get some that fall off the rock and re attach to some not well lit areas and they end up looking similar to that before dying

mr_ X nailed last pic!
It is aptasia.

Yeah looks like 2 aptasia one to the right also

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Something else just popped up today on the glass I saw it moving but it doesn't move much

Also I'm having a hard time getting this mantis shrimp out. Anybody have any ideas to get him out without taking all the rocks out? I tried the trap and no luck. He is pretty cool I have been dropping pieces if shrimp into the tank and he will run out and grab it and he is always staring at me through the rocks. But I plan on having a clownfish and a firefish possible and I don't think they will do fine with the shrimp. Also an emerald crab but I don't think that would be good either. Unless you guys think he will leave them alone.

I have removed 3 mantis shrimp when I know which rock they were in.
I simply(key word as it may not be so simple) remove the rock I saw/chased him into and place it in a bucket of heavy salt water(.031++) .
They usually fall/come out moments later and I separate them from the rock.
Catching them in tank without a trap will be challenging.
All three of mine were VERY fast and observant.

Back
Top Bottom