Hitchhiker ID please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That thing looks disgusting. I would say it's most likely a worm, since it looks like nothing else. And if it was good, then oh well, ya know?

slitherbomb said:
That thing looks disgusting. I would say it's most likely a worm, since it looks like nothing else. And if it was good, then oh well, ya know?

Well, yeah. Kinda creepy.. I'd try to pull it out and stick it in a Sealed container until I find out what it is

There are all kinds of disgusting things in our tanks we never see. It could b.e one of those things that will never be seen again. Unless you have a positive id on it do you think it would be worth killing everything on the rock which it might have moved from just to kill it?

Are you sure it is still in that rock?

I have a worm in one of my tanks I have seen twice it is about 6 to 8 inches long a little hard to measure because the way it can stretch I have seen it twice. I haven't made a positive id on it but it hasn't bothered anything in the tank. I assume it is good whatever it is.

Maybe it's a whole new species,..and Buffy can name it and become famous? ... We all just might be on the edge of discovery,... Buffy's banded sea worm or something.... ?

I think it looks cool, always too quick to kill things... if it is a fish eater for sure, ok, if not, you got something neat for free!

@Dary lol, no thanks, I'm not wanting to be famous. It looks scary and no I don't want it in my tank. I don't care if it is "good" or not. I wanted to know what it is and how to get rid of it.

I know it's not in my tank because I had taken my rock out of the tank to add more sand. Had placed in a bucket with RO water and had been in that bucket for bout 4 days. When I was done I with the sand I put my "live rock" back in again and that's when I saw it. I let it set for maybe 15 minutes at the most while I looked at it. Then took the rock back out and put it back in the bucket of RO water, no salt or anything, just RO. It was squirming around when I put it in the bucket and that is where that piece of rock still is and I've not seen the little bugger since. I'm not putting the rock in my tank til that sucker comes out. If it doesn't then I'm tossing the rock out (which I still may do, instead of waiting).

It looks like one of those ugly worms from that link, maybe just alittle color difference.

Buffy said:
@Dary lol, no thanks, I'm not wanting to be famous. It looks scary and no I don't want it in my tank. I don't care if it is "good" or not. I wanted to know what it is and how to get rid of it.

I know it's not in my tank because I had taken my rock out of the tank to add more sand. Had placed in a bucket with RO water and had been in that bucket for bout 4 days. When I was done I with the sand I put my "live rock" back in again and that's when I saw it. I let it set for maybe 15 minutes at the most while I looked at it. Then took the rock back out and put it back in the bucket of RO water, no salt or anything, just RO. It was squirming around when I put it in the bucket and that is where that piece of rock still is and I've not seen the little bugger since. I'm not putting the rock in my tank til that sucker comes out. If it doesn't then I'm tossing the rock out (which I still may do, instead of waiting).

It looks like one of those ugly worms from that link, maybe just alittle color difference.

Now I feeling sorry for the lil' fella,.......

The thing is starting to poke out again. Gonna wait a little longer cause it was further out before. EWE!!!!!!!!

I thought I read something that if I add alot of salt (don't know how much) then all the critters would come out.

Don't know if that would work in this case since the rock has been alive, dead, alive, dead....due to halts in my setup.

Anyone know bout the salt thing?

Wow..I think it likes you... Kinda like the "undying monster" from years ago... I hope someone here can ID it... Amazingly tough

You could just sit the rock outside and let it dry out to kill it. It will kill everything else also but things like that can be in your tank for years and you'll never see it. Or you could set a nice trap for it too

Does it appear to have more than that one leg still in the rock? Definitely not a brittle star, but maybe a serpent star. Looks like the single leg of one to me. If so, it's totally safe for reef and fish.

Put a piece of fish filet or shrimp or something about 3-4" away from the rock. I think it will come out.

You could just sit the rock outside and let it dry out to kill it. It will kill everything else also but things like that can be in your tank for years and you'll never see it. Or you could set a nice trap for it too

Actually with the moving around of stuff trying to get started, they (the live rock) were not even in water for a day or two, just sitting on deck cause I was frustrated and going to remove all sand to start over. That's why I say my live rock died LOL. live dead live dead..... means out of tank in tank out of tank in tank. And sometimes with water (tap) and sometimes not. So it must have reincarnated.

I thought I saw a Serpent Star when I was looking up BrittleStar. Let me look again but I don't think so. It looked to much like this one worm I saw when I was researching.

Doesn't look like Serpent Star. Let me see if I can find that worm that I thought it was and post the link to get your opinions.

Back
Top Bottom