Hitchhiker Starfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Squado

Aquarium Advice Freak
While I was looking at my tank today, I found a starfish cruisin along the rocks. Although I do not have access to a camera right now (ill take a pciture later tonight) I will describe it. It is about the size of a dime, is a light blue grey, and has seven arms. Should I be concerned. I cant find any pictures of starfish with seven arms. If anyone knows, is it reef safe? TIA.........

Small brittle/serpent stars are common hitchhikers. Of course this is just an assumption of what you may have and a pic is necessary to give an ID but it's likely not anything you need to be concerned about. Most times these small stars live within the rock itself and you never see them except at feeding time, in which case you may see a tentacle or two. I look forward to seeing any pics you can get.

I'll try to get a pic, it was only visible for 15 minutes then went under a rock. If I can get a pic of it I def will.

If I find him again do you think I should put him in my fuge just to be cautious? I just ordered a fuge and should have it next wed.

Back
Top Bottom