Hitchhiker Urchin - Pencil?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theatrus

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just got my shipment of live rocks (from Live Rocks.com) this morning. Attached to one of the bigger pieces was this guy. I think he may be a pencil urchin (or derivative), but I'm not sure. Picture is attached.

http://www.imgheap.com/images/68e40286d33557e1567e7aa445ab33be/IMG_1211.JPG

Also, I have a red footed snail. He does not seem to be a moon snail, and has a shell which looks somewhat like a conch shell. I'm trying to get a good picture of him. Anyone have a good snail reference?[/url]

The urchin is definately a pencil. Up to you whether it stays or not. Some like them others are more worried about the damage they can do to coralline and future corals. If you do decide not to keep it, please return it to the LFS for store credit. There are many that keep these creatures and enjoy them.

The snail you describe sounds like either a whelk snail, tulip snail or possibley and olive snail. Do a google image search for those and see what you come up with.

Cheers
Steve

Ok, good to know its a pencil urchin. Hes cruising under one of the rocks, moving around in a hole.

I haven't seen the snail for about a day (hence no picture). Its somewhat hard to ID its shell pattern as the shell was covered by various algaes. I'm thinking (from what I remember it looked like) its a banded tulip snail, mainly due to the shell shape and red foot. But an 8" snail is pretty big 8O The snail I saw was between 1/2" to 1"... hopefuly its slow growing :roll:

jcn-tulip1.jpg

bandedtulipsnail_220.jpg

Thanks for your help! :) :D

justmy2cents said:
I was told "red foot" needs to go. Is this not true?
Usually yes but it's still best to ID the animal. If you cannot get a proper ID, I would remove the snail anyway. Most predaceous species can and will reproduce in your tank quite easily.

Cheers
Steve

justmy2cents said:
I got one in my last lr order, put the little bugger in the sump.
I wouldn't, they could still end up in your tank :wink:

Cheers
Steve

FWIW i recieved a pencil urchin on some LR from LR.com and in the months that I have had it there has been no issues at all with it or with any of the corals i have in the tank

Back
Top Bottom