hmm what is this

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
its always been brown the first set of pics i took with my cellphone so it looks redish, but it never was. i was thinking it was a leather also, i've had it since i started and it does have bumps not pores. i only have a single 18" T8 right now so there hasn't really been much growth to it

I think it might be just a run of the mill brain coral.I have one that came on a piece of LR that looks like your picture.

i haven't seen any "brain coral" that looks like that. if it wasn't brilliant red like the first photos showed, i would guess toadstool at this point.

If it was a sponge it'll die off anyways. Exposing them to air ever = death, and they need particulate feedings. Too hard to tell whether it's a developing leather (or otherwise) at this point.

i'm not sure that's always the case, since we expose our live rock completely to air for days at a time and then we have sponge popping out of everywhere once we add it to the tank.
i think that may be certain species, or possibly just myth.

well we shall soon see once i get my new 4lamp t5 fixture. if it starts to change color and grow into soemthing different we'll be able to find out then

smitty, i know those are pretty BA names when i said it to my girlfriend the first time she didn't get it and said that those names were alright, then she thought about it and was liek "ooooohhhh NEMO" :p

Well for large sponges I'm pretty sure it means death. I guess if they are small they can't get too much air trapped.

Back
Top Bottom