How would i know if this coral is alive ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Riley

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have had this for almost a month and a half and I'm not sure if it is doing well or not.. Some help please

Attachments

• image-2767774971.jpg
    image-2767774971.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 177
They're alive (living coral tissue is covering its skeleton) and seem to be ok. A dead stony coral would be barren of this tissue. A dying coral would show signs of tissue recession.

Any significant change since the time you acquired them? (size difference? coloration change? etc). When they thrive they may get larger in size and multiply. What type of lighting do you have and how far from the lights are these corals?

LPS corals such as these (they look like acans) typically extend their feeder tentacles at night, have you observed these?

rc_kaybee19_sig.png

It use to have tiny tentacles appear at random times and also almost thorns. I have t5ho acnics and t5ho 100000 it's on the very bottom. The way I undrrstood the love aquaria description that's where it needed to be. I could have mistaken it with the wrong coral though

This is what I thought it was

Attachments

• image-1934183643.jpg
    image-1934183643.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 154
Judging by the photo you provided I'm still leaning toward acan's, but not seeing them in person they may very well be blasto's (or even some other sort of LPS).

The feeder tentacles of blastomussa wellsi are short and are located long the outer edges of the polyp and aren't very effective (when blasto's capture food the entire polyp envelops the food item. I guess you could consider their tentacles to be thorn like. Are your coral's tentacles very similar to the one's in the 2nd photo?

Acan feeder tentacles originate closer to the center of the polyp. If they patterned like the blasto's in website photo that you provided, the feeders would extend from the inner green ring margin. Acan feeder's are longer and more effective at prey capture than blasto's are (the feeders catch the food and guide them into the mouth).

It isn't either...give me a couple hours and the name will come to me. But a coral doesn't have to extend the feeder tentacles to be happy. LPS that inflate and aren't bleaching are healthy, basically. I have blue torch coral, all the same coral. Some have their feeders extended while the head right beside that one does not.

jsmith said:
Dead on lobo!

And yes if you have had it for month its looking good.. like others have said you would notice tissue lost in which you would see stark white Skelton appearing.

Back
Top Bottom