Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Identification
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-05-2018, 11:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

HUGE worm from live rock!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1658.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	222.8 KB
ID:	310326Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1511.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	209.9 KB
ID:	310327
The second picture is a close up of his back. He is around 4-6 inches long depending on whether he is stretched or scrunched. Iím assuming some kind of bristle worm... although he dwarfs the other bristles in the tank. I have affectionately names him Herman Munster. Does he appear to be a safe type of worm? He is currently inhabiting my 30 gallon and Iím working on setting up/cycling my 60 gallon. Should I leave him in the 30 or would he be ok to move in the 60 that I am going to SLOWLY build into a reef? Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 09-05-2018, 11:58 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Why are you still in the house? Leave now and flee for your life.

Old 09-06-2018, 12:46 PM   #3
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Itís a bristle worm alright. They get as big as there is a food supply. They get big from lots of uneaten food or poop on the system.
Has the system been set up long or is the rock new to the system? It could have been carried into the system as well.
In my system I have lots of small ones and a couple larger ones, though not quite that size and donít see them very often.
These guys are still quite harmless aside from you getting the bristles stuck in your hand...though more of an annoyance than anything imo.
You could remove it with a bristleworm trap. Lfs sometimes have them to lend out. Iím sure there are diy ones out there as well. I still wouldnít bother with it if it was in my tank. But up to you. Some people are weirded out by them.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 01:09 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Itís a bristle worm alright. They get as big as there is a food supply. They get big from lots of uneaten food or poop on the system.
Has the system been set up long or is the rock new to the system? It could have been carried into the system as well.
In my system I have lots of small ones and a couple larger ones, though not quite that size and donít see them very often.
These guys are still quite harmless aside from you getting the bristles stuck in your hand...though more of an annoyance than anything imo.
You could remove it with a bristleworm trap. Lfs sometimes have them to lend out. Iím sure there are diy ones out there as well. I still wouldnít bother with it if it was in my tank. But up to you. Some people are weirded out by them.

Thank You! I overfed a lot in the beginning, it is a 30 gallon with 2 clowns and they donít need nearly as much food as I thought they did. I have scaled back on feeding, but, I do occasionally throw in one of the little frozen clams late in the evening to see Herman venture out. Him and the one with him are the biggest, any others are quite tiny. My tank has been going about 6 months, and Herman has been close to this size since I first saw him about 3 months in. Since he is harmless, Iím keeping him, and will transfer him and his rock over to the 60 when it gets ready. Iíve had freshwater fish for years, but salt and all these little critters is new to me. Ive been lurking around here for a over a year trying to learn enough to do this right.
Old 09-06-2018, 01:17 PM   #5
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

You shouldn't need to worry about feeding him, but if you enjoy it that is all that matters. Just make sure you're keeping ahead of the nutrients you're putting in with your water changes. Hate problems that creep up from them.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 01:52 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Nice close up pic!!!

Herman is kind of attractively colored - But ewww. The big ones do creep me out but their bristles clean the rocks.

A word of caution in addition to their stinging bristles, they have big pinching, grabbing mouths, so tiny critters might disappear in there.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -5G Spec V Snails & Betta
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 09:13 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMaier View Post
Why are you still in the house? Leave now and flee for your life.
This made me laugh! I'd be the same
Cute name though
Old 09-26-2018, 11:10 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feebs View Post
This made me laugh! I'd be the same

Cute name though

Iíve seen the movies and I know how this ends.

Tags
huge, live, live rock, rock, worm

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com