I Got a Hitchhiker Cowrie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Porksound

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm pretty sure what wandered in on my new star polyp rock is a cowrie.. he's pretty big (just over an inch) and pretty freaky (he wears his mantle over his shell and has crazy little flower like appendages, very frightening hehehe)...

So I've heard these are desireable but BAD for a reef. I'm wondering if the rumors are true.. anyone have any experience with these beautiful snails? Do they really eat soft corals like Xenia, etc...

If so he's goin' back to the LFS, but he's interesting enough that I wouldn't mind keeping him around...

shrug

p

Moved to the Saltwater Identification forum.

Porksound said:
I'm pretty sure what wandered in on my new star polyp rock is a cowrie.. he's pretty big (just over an inch) and pretty freaky (he wears his mantle over his shell and has crazy little flower like appendages, very frightening hehehe)...
The above description is true for all cowries. They extend a fleshy mantle over their shell unless retreating from danger.

So I've heard these are desireable but BAD for a reef. I'm wondering if the rumors are true.. anyone have any experience with these beautiful snails? Do they really eat soft corals like Xenia, etc...
Depends on the species. Some can be safe like the money cowrie. Most however are not safe and can be aggressive eaters. Posting a pic would be the best bet for a proper ID.

Cheers
Steve

Looks like a Zebra Cowrie Cypraea zebra but I am unsure if it is reef safe or not... Might try Cowrys.Org to see what you can find out...

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom