i have crabs.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greeneyes

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have just found yet another crab in my reef tank.They keep popping up.Obviously hitchikers.

This one has a body approx 1 inch across,a stony colour & furry...sorry I don't have a pic of him...any ideas???

what color are the tips of its claws? If they are black you shouldnt have a worry... but with out a pic its impossible to id them,sometimes even with one its hard... hth...

Hmm, the only really furry crab that I have gotten is called the teddy bear crab, it's small furry and tan colored. If that's what it looks like I have a bunch of them and they are as harmless as teddy bears. They will hide and make little homes but you will probably only see them very few times if you're moving a rock around or something.

:) That's exactly how I would describe it.Just like a Teddy Bear :)

At least I know it (or they) won't harm anything.

Thanx

greeneyes said:
At least I know it (or they) won't harm anything.

Crabs are opportunist and there will always be risks involved when keeping them, no matter what the species. I'd hate for you to get a false sense of security only to find he's been munching your snails. If what you have is a true teddy bear crab (Polydectus cupulifer) it may or may not ever become a problem. Some become aggressive while others stay neutral. A picture would be needed to confirm the ID. These crabs as with all crabs, warrant watching. Keeping it fed may help.

Back
Top Bottom