I need a 2nd opinion on this critter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

STARFYRE

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm new to SW. I just finished stocking my LR in my tank 2 days ago. It's uncured and going thru one heck of a cycle (Ammonia at 8.0) I was staring at my rock today and a bug was running across it and hiding in a tiny hole. I think it's a pod, but not sure if it is a pod, is it a copepod or an amphipod.
I can't get a pic right now, but I'll describe it to the best of my ability.
It looks kinda like a very small, not flat centipede. It's clear with blueish lines that run horizontal down its back. The body looks like a round exoskeleton. It has antannae. It runs across the rock. And when it stops, it's rearend folds in, making it look like a J or C shape.
As soon as I figure out how to transfer pics to the computer and resize them, this will be alot easier. But for now, anyone have an idea?

I have ideas but they would be guesses. Pics will find your answer.

I checked out the pics, but can't really tell. It looks most like one I saw posted in this forum under"before u post" or something like that. My fiance (the one who never showed any interest in my tanks) checked online and said he came up with copepod. I can't get a pic of it. It moves too fast, and spends most of its time hiding in a hole in the rock. I saw 2 more after I got offline last night. All of them are on the only piece of LR that was cured when I bought it, which leaves me to believe they are def copepods. Hooray! For I will be needing many of those for my inhabitants to munch on. I also think I found some corals on a piece of what the LFS referred to as Tonga motu. I have to go to work. But after I get home, I'll have my honey download pics so I can post them up. Thanx for all your help. I love u guys!

Cool! Take a flashlight after lights out and you will probably see many copeods.

I found something that looks like it might be a coral on a piece of my LR. I'm gonna try to post a pic. Tell me what u think.

Attachments

• dcp02300_102.jpg
    dcp02300_102.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 23
That's kind of tough to see. Does it move? How many legs does it have?

I'll try to post another pic. It's not a critter, I identified that guy already. This is something different. I think this is some type of coral. I don't know what else it would be. I know it's not solid. You can tell it's soft, cuz part of it "unwound" and just blows around. It's light pink/purpleish. It looks kinda like a ribbon you stick on a birthday present. It has a series of loops. I know it's hard to see, but that's the only pic I could get posted. I'm havin trouble postin pictures. It keep sayin I'm beyond capacity or whatever.?

If it is saying that, you have reached your capacity. There are two things you can do, donate to the site or delete some of your other pics. Hopefully another mentor/mod can verify this.

+++EDIT+++
More than likely, your pic is too big. What exactly is the error?

Could be a sponge to but like Roka64 stated you need a clearer pic.

I think I figured out how to post....FINALLY!
It's the pinky/purple thing directly in the middle at the top of the pic.
img_754372_0_559883534daf088f50c40bdd9eff5a2f.jpg

That's still tough to see. You don't have anything in your tank yet, right? If so, can you position the rock for a clearer pic...sorry to harp on the quality, but that critter is very small and definitely hard to see.

I agree it is either a sponge...or maybe some sort of tunicate. But looks like a sponge to me. Any coral that would look like that would be hard, not soft, and not growing on the underside of a rock (sorry!).

Thanx guys! Are sponges good or bad? Would it still be alive? The LR I got was in transit for at least 3 days, and I got it right out of the box. Sorry about the pics, they are pretty fuzzy. I don't want to move the rocks around cuz I found my nassarius snail. I thought he was dead. Doing any redecorating could possibly injure him (i.e. rock falling) plus it's a pain in the butt. I just took more shots. I'll have my honey get em sized up, and I'll post em later.

Most sponges die when exposed to air, but they are really alot hardier than most people give them credit. If it continues to look good, I'd chalk it up to having nice hitchiker tag along on your rock. Sponges are harmless filter feeders.

Coooooooool! Yeah, it doesn't seem to be deteriorating. Whatever it is, it got banged up a little. When I found it, part of the ribbon looking thing was unraveled and waving back and forth. That piece somehow detatched and now it looks like someone stuck a B-day bow on my rock LOL!

Back
Top Bottom