I need help identifying these things?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqua

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I upgraded my lights to MH (525W) and PC (260W) last month and some new things started coming out (well I didn't see then before). I've identified some of the critters (limpkin, urchin, feather dusters, pods...I really appreciated the FAQ link). Oh my tank has been up for 6-7 months.

The first thing (thing1) just popped up and I can't figure out what the are. Anenome maybe? There are 2 on this rock but the other one is tucked in a crevice so I can't get a good picture of it.

I've also found this orange thing, picture is not very good, but I posted anyway-I'll try and get a better picture tonight. It moves, since it was on the rock behind it the night before. Is it some kind of snail? It's really hard for me to explain, but it kinda looks like a smashed hat.

Thanks for all your help.

I've also found this orange thing, picture is not very good, but I posted anyway-I'll try and get a better picture tonight. It moves, since it was on the rock behind it the night before. Is it some kind of snail? It's really hard for me to explain, but it kinda looks like a smashed hat

From the pic, looks like a cap snail (Stomatella varia), very good snails to have, would like to see a better pic though.

Thing 1 looks kinda like a rock anemone (Epicystis crucifer sp?) but I wouldn't trust that ID.

Aren't rock anemone bad?

Majanos and aiptasias are also referred to as rock anemones, which is why I included the scientific name, and they are considered bad, yes. The anemone, that it looks like to me (and I am nowhere near certain of the ID), is a carribean anemone, it is not a host anemone and has a potent sting, but most do not consider them bad, you can get them at the LFS for about 5 bucks apiece around here.

Kevin

Thanks, I won't panick until I confirm the ID of this anemone. As for the snail, it is back in hiding. I'll try looking for it with the flashlight when the light go out tonight (how I found it last night). Hopefully it won't be in an odd place so I can get a better pic.

Aqua

Actually, Thing 1 almost looks like a limpet from the picture. Anyway to get a better shot??

I always thought thing1 was a type of feather duster? I have these on my rock and they have a fan type look to them. They do pull in when something comes near.

The rock anemones I have in my tank look more like a condy anemone or similar. They have tentacles vs. a fan.

Are there different types of rock anemones?

I always thought thing1 was a type of feather duster? I have these on my rock and they have a fan type look to them. They do pull in when something comes near.

That is a possibility ;) Hard to tell from the pic.

Are there different types of rock anemones?

There are several species of anemone that are referred to as rock anemones, just one reason why scientific names make things easier.

Well I finally got a better picture. To me it look like a limpet but what is covering it?

thing1.jpg is a keyhole limpet I have found many of these in my tank and they have all gone to a better home :D

It's definitely a limpit, but I've never seen a keyhole limpet extend a mantle around it's shell, I have several, excellent algae grazers, no problems with them if you don't have leathers.

I also found a better ID for the anemone. Viatrix globulifera aka turtle grass anemone. It was on >>wetwebmedia<<

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom