I wonder where it came from

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heidildie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all im new here and I have a 10 gal. mini reef which i was inspecting this morning and i noticed a new critter that ive never seen before it looks like one of my astria snails but he has no shell??? i only have 3 astrias in my tank and i checked all 3 and there all in there shells still,what do u guys think this little guy is???? Sorry i dont have a digi. to take a pic with.

lmkbubblfsh.gif

to AquariumAdvice.com!!

Sounds like possibly a nudibranch, or a stomatella snail. Stomatellas are common hitchikers on LR, they have shells, it's just very small and difficult to see at times. FWIW, if one of your snails had left it's shell, it would be dead, the shell is a part of the snail and grows with them.

Thanx i didnt know if snails could leave there shells or not, by the way is a nudibranch or stomatella a predator, or should i welcome him to my reef?

Nudis are probably bad, if they are hitchikers, the stomatellas are bar none the best snails you can have for a reef, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom